Thread: Is there a way to get this stencil look from a picture?

Is there a way to get this stencil look from a picture?

I want to know if I can get this type of stencil drawing look in artrage without drawing. Also what about create stencil from whats on the canvas why does it only take the outline and not the lines in the drawingName:  7fe9e35237cabe340aeadaede2bd29ed.jpg
Views: 20941
Size:  74.8 KBName:  Lion-park.jpg
Views: 2535
Size:  76.4 KB like get this look from a regular picture

To get what you're looking for I believe you will have to use the various selection tools to select the portions of the image you want. Then on a new layer, fill those area selected areas with a solid color. Then right click the layer menu in the thumbnail and choose "create stencil from layer contents". I'm not sure if that is exactly what it says but it's close. There is no one button option to create a stencil from a photo and get what you're looking for. There is no way the software can know what you want included in the stencil and what you don't. Using the freehand selection tool and the selection brush I think you should be able to get what you want.

It won't result in something as smooth as that (it looks like the black and white image was some sort of vector conversion), but you could use the Color Adjuster to make a black and white image from the colored version. The steps would be something similar to this:

1. Import the image as a new painting or as a layer.
    2. With the image layer selected, go to Edit > Adjust Layer Colors.
    3. With the Adjust Colors panel opened, locate and drag the Color slider all the way to the left (-100%), making the image grayscale.
    4. Now locate and drag the Contrast slider all the way to the right (100%).
    5. Lastly, locate the Brightness slider. This step is going to take tweaking or your part, as moving the slider to either the right or left, will either increase or decrease the amount of black or white in the image.
    6. When you're done, click "OK" to accept the changes.

Optional Steps:
    1. If you'd like the white of the image to be transparent, right click the layer the image is on and select Blend Mode > Multiply
    2. You may now add textures on a new layer beneath the image layer (See examples below).

The image of the left is the result from the first set of steps. The image on the right is result of the second set of steps.
    Name:  lion bw.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  297.3 KBName:  lion color.jpg
Views: 4147
Size:  348.8 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

WOW! Someonesane that is brilliant! You're understanding of the depth of this program never ceases to amaze me. I rarely think about these kinds of capabilities when it comes to ArtRage. Thanks for peeling away another layer of the onion.

Glad I was able to bring out another of ArtRage's hidden potential for you Jmac
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.