Thread: How do I do selective colouring with two layers?

Question How do I do selective colouring with two layers?

G'day from Australia.

I hope some kind soul out there can help me.

I have two layers.

The top layer is a transparent layer and consists of some graphics in black.
    The bottom layer has various random colours and fills the screen.

What I want to do is selective colour the top layer by pulling up the colours from the bottom layer onto the black images. Then I want to delete the lower layer leaving me with the top layer black sections now coloured with the colours from the bottom layer.

How can I do this?

Thank you and please keep the answer simple, I have just started using Artrage.

Paul.

I am getting there but not quite.

I created a stencil of the images on the top layer, and then imported the second image to be on the bottom layer.

I then traced the image with the 'Using Trace Color' option on.

I was able to pick up the colours with the Oil brush, but that is the only brush that would work, the other brushes didn't pick up any colour, just the base colour in the palette.

What I would really like to do is pick up the image underneath the top layer.

There must be a way to do this.

Paul.

Paul,

I'm not entirely certain I understand what you want, but ...

Could you use the Clone option? Set the clone to pick up from the lower layer, on the top layer set preserve transparency to keep within your black graphic shapes and clone the colour from the lower layer to the top.

The best of British, or Australian, in your case.

Pat

I think it would probably be easiest to merge the two layers so there is just one layer.

1. Erase any bits you don't need.

2. Go to the layers menu and select the menu button for the top layer, then choose 'merge layer down' (or press ctrl + alt + down arrow).

Question Here is a clearer explanation of what I want to do with images.

Hi Hannah and Pat.

I think the translation from Australian English to UK English and possibly to USA English has left you wondering what I want to do.

Here is an example.

Top layer black shape with transparent background.

Bottom layer organic shape (could be anything of course).

I want to grab the bottom layer image and transfer parts of it only into the top layer where there are black pixels (shape)

I am sure there is a simple way to do this, but I have still lost the plot.

I did try both your suggestions, but somewhere along the way I lost the plot..

Thank you for your help and hooroo for now.Name:  Bottom Layer.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  181.2 KBName:  TOP  AND BOTTOM LAYER.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  75.4 KBName:  TOP LAYER.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  102.8 KB
    Last edited by paulfromaustralia; 05-22-2016 at 02:38 AM.

I don't know if it is the best way but this will accomplish what you want....With the black layer selected, choose "New Stencil from Layer Contents" in the little drop down menu in the layer thumbnail. Delete or hide the black layer if you want to keep it and invert the stencil by right clicking on it and choosing "Invert Stencil". Now, with the bottom layer selected, erase away what is outside the red area of the stencil. Your black shapes should now be filled with the coloration of the bottom layer. You can merge the layers or not, depending on what you want to do next. Hope this helps or that someone else will provide a better solution.

From one Aussie to another - let's see if I can understand what you want.

Is this your goal?

Name:  black.PNG
Views: 258
Size:  94.4 KBName:  pattern.PNG
Views: 257
Size:  147.6 KB

If so - Select the black layer Edit/Select Layer Contents. Fill with pattern - fill tool/pattern.

Name:  patt.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  15.1 KB

Of course, you will have to import your pattern into the pattern folder from your hard drive..

Name:  import pat.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  12.8 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Smile Thank you. Thank you.

hi Jmac and June.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Both methods work very well.

Best wishes and keep up the great work.

Paul.