ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Real Color Blending

Real Color Blending

I'd like to discuss this a bit, and hear from the Artrage development team and from other painters when and why they use it or not use it.
    From my early days painting in Artrage, I've left REAL COLOR MIXING on. (It's located in the color options) My thoughts were Why would't you want the color to mix like real color? Until yesterday, I was struggling with a sunset. I'm doing it with dabs of color from the tube and then working the colors with the palette knife .The yellow and orange in the sky was mixing with the blue and giving me a green sky. I tried making the areas that would be orange or yellow white, and then airbrushing the yellows and oranges in a new layer, so they wouldn't mix with my blues and purples. That was okay but seemed awkward at best.

But then I thought about real color mixing, and turning it off seemed to solve the problem and I could do all the colors on one layer.

So I had a ah-ah moment and thought that maybe there was a good time to NOT use real color mixing.

Thoughts?
    Elaine

Its funny you mention the real colour blending option, only yesterday I was also painting a sunset and had the same exact issue regarding the blending to green!. I also turned it off but decided to leave a little green in there as it seemed to add something to the painting overall.

I always leave this option on but since I don't do much thick paint blending I don't notice it. It just happened I was experimenting with a sunset using thick oils that I noticed it straight away. I immediately said YUCK!, and turned it off.

Yeah, there are a couple of very specific colour combinations where (for example) blue + specific shades of orange (red+ Yellow +white) will pick up the blue + yellow and run with it unexpectedly.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I always thought that it would be useful and kind of cool to take a picture with your mobile device on the spot and import it into your painting as a reference or as a color palette. After all, it would be a JPEG and behave like one upon import. You could even use it as a tracing image. At least in theory that's what I'm thinking. The reason that even occurred to me, is because it's a matter of a Picture providing the exact colors that you might be looking for, ready-made. That way a lot of the blending issues might not be a problem. But since I don't know your working method, I don't know how practical it is for you. I'm a big fan personally of using lots of layers and letting the colors mix without blending, or at least being able to control the amount of blending and heading off any irregular colors that materialize. I realize it's sort of defeats the purpose of painting like old-school painting. But this is what I do. For what it's worth.
    Last edited by D Akey; 04-19-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Went and played around with color a bit. At first blush it appears that the blending follows the palette arc -- that curved rainbow strip. So if you pick a blue and an orange, it follows the colors in between.

I don't know if this would work, but if the user was able to set the color spectrum in a custom way, where one color chosen by the user is adjacent to another color chosen by the user - no matter what those two or more colors are, it would blend the path between. That way the user would not be stuck with that color relationship where an undesirable color does not get in the mix upon blending.

Some old pre-PS paint programs like D-Paint on the Amiga gave one that choice for cycling colors. Heck, AR might even be able to set it -- eg. red to yellow directly. Or even blue to orange, where you would be able to set what those complimentary colors mix to. (Did they used to be called an array? Can't recall. But it might be something that can be managed in sticker spray? Dunno).

Just a thought.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

color mixing

Normally, I work with real color blending. I tend to stick to oil, watercolor and pastels, and I sometimes mix colors on a scrap as I would on a palette, and normally the colors really wel. The other day, I was preparing for a class, and working in a manner that I usually don't, with dabs of color and the palette knives to make a sunset. After starting, I realized that this would work with a subject with fewer colors to mix. I teach a class in digital painting - (art rage) and I come up with different projects using different tools, different subjects, and different styles every time. I try and give a few "tool tips" and a step by step for the beginning, so they all start with the same technique, and then they run with it. I was so frustrated that dabs of color with the tube in golds and oranges would turn green from the blue when smoothed out with the palette knife. It seems a lot more manageable with real color blending off.
    Teacher learned something on that one!!!