ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: the BreakWater

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Prineville Oregon
    Posts
    6,179

    the BreakWater

    where man tries to control the forces of the Ocean...and Nature...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the BreakWater.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	89581  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,517
    Very nice indeed! I love the repetition of the shape and the off-application of it. Feels very active, in keeping with the idea of breakers hitting at staggered points and never at the same moment, yet with similarity. The color is really nice as well as it has the quality in this context of organic and random counterpoint to the geometric man-made shapes, yet it has a segmented quality which gives it a very pleasing progressive modifier. The crenelated shape also carries the feeling of a feudal battlement. Etc etc.

    Anyway, I find this one to be very strong in that there is a visual theme that your interpretation plays to, both in what you're drawing your inspiration from in the real world, as well as the visual motif kind of theme. And it also is a much closer relationship to your more recent rectangular geometry an splashy paint ones. So I can sort of track the evolution. This one, for me, works very well.

    Bravo.

    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,004
    So much to look at in this one - cutouts on lots of scraps of brightly coloured craft paper.
    June.

    Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

    http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Matthews , NC
    Posts
    2,372

    Wonderful flow of colors!

    All the walls that try to control the sea. Like building fortresses. Very interesting to take some time to look at and see the gradations in color and myriad of shapes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Prineville Oregon
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Very nice indeed! I love the repetition of the shape and the off-application of it. Feels very active, in keeping with the idea of breakers hitting at staggered points and never at the same moment, yet with similarity. The color is really nice as well as it has the quality in this context of organic and random counterpoint to the geometric man-made shapes, yet it has a segmented quality which gives it a very pleasing progressive modifier. The crenelated shape also carries the feeling of a feudal battlement. Etc etc.

    Anyway, I find this one to be very strong in that there is a visual theme that your interpretation plays to, both in what you're drawing your inspiration from in the real world, as well as the visual motif kind of theme. And it also is a much closer relationship to your more recent rectangular geometry an splashy paint ones. So I can sort of track the evolution. This one, for me, works very well.

    Bravo.

    Thanks my friend, I have been trying to be mindful of your recent advice and felt this made use of your experienced eye and advice but still was able to
    "be myself" with the design and colors..

    Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    So much to look at in this one - cutouts on lots of scraps of brightly coloured craft paper.
    thank you June I have always admired the work of Matisse in his later years with the cutouts he did..

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Anne View Post
    All the walls that try to control the sea. Like building fortresses. Very interesting to take some time to look at and see the gradations in color and myriad of shapes.
    thanks Marilyn Anne, a lot of the work I do has layers of visual metaphors and the titles suggest a starting point, but I am pleased to took the time to see the intricate color work in this and form shapes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA
    Posts
    85

    Beautiful.

    Beautiful and vibrant.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    24,113
    As ancient Latins used to say: Repetita juvant, i.e., more or less precisely, "Repeated concepts (or things) carry benefits".
    Here's quite evident the merit of the base motive repetition and declination to keep order and coherence to the whole composition while the chromatic harmonies and splashes give life and movement. Bulkheds and grates hold, control and govern the creative waters flow fruitfully, disciplining and exploiting adequaely their power....
    A feast for our eyes and minds!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, On., Canada
    Posts
    5,356
    Great colours, shapes and texture Gary

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Prineville Oregon
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecur View Post
    Beautiful and vibrant.
    thanks mikecur great to have you comment on this .

    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    As ancient Latins used to say: Repetita juvant, i.e., more or less precisely, "Repeated concepts (or things) carry benefits".
    Here's quite evident the merit of the base motive repetition and declination to keep order and coherence to the whole composition while the chromatic harmonies and splashes give life and movement. Bulkheds and grates hold, control and govern the creative waters flow fruitfully, disciplining and exploiting adequaely their power....
    A feast for our eyes and minds!
    thanks it is not often I see Latin quotes regarding my work but so appropriate to this. I loved Latin and studied it for two years in high school, alas I have forgotten so much but it did improve my vocabulary immensely ..

    Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Great colours, shapes and texture Gary
    thanks justjean always great to hear from you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •