Thread: How to create a stencil that will show the whole image?

How to create a stencil that will show the whole image?

I have some png files that I have tried to create stencils from but it doesn't show the whole image. Some of the images only allow some parts to be colored in or traced and the other parts are solid and can't be traced or colored.

You can invert the stencil - right click on the stencil and choose invert - this will allow painting on other parts which were covered by the stencil. Hope that's what you are asking.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Not sure if it will help things out for you, but I discuss some of the mechanics behind how the stencils work in the following thread and video. They were done with an older version of ArtRage, but how the stencils work haven't changed, so it should still relate.

Forum Thread

Video Link
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Not sure if it will help things out for you, but I discuss some of the mechanics behind how the stencils work in the following thread and video. They were done with an older version of ArtRage, but how the stencils work haven't changed, so it should still relate.

Forum Thread

Video Link
    Thanks I will check it out

It sounds as though the png files you describe have some areas of transparency in them. Stencils will only completely hide or completely show areas that are opaque. How much a stencil will show or hide of areas with any amount of transparency is dependent on that amount of transparency.