Thread: How to draw behind a layer and not have the paint combine

How to draw behind a layer and not have the paint combine

I am trying to draw a line behind a tree but it is still blending with the other colors of the tree and branch. I have the layers locked. Also tried the paint locked. Even hiding the layer didnt do the trick.

draw the line on a new layer and move the layer above or under the tree layer

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    draw the line on a new layer and move the layer above or under the tree layer
    That's what I did

The art you want behind the tree has to be on it's own layer and that layer must be below the layer with the tree on it in the layer stack.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    The art you want behind the tree has to be on it's own layer and that layer must be below the layer with the tree on it in the layer stack.
    It is below the tree layer. I have done it before with other drawings but for some reason this one isn't working. It is at the bottom layer when I draw a line using the stencil tool I can see the color on the line and the tree collide. Not blending the colors but I can see the line that is supposed to be behind. The color of the line isn't over it it's just the stroke of the line.

With out seeing the image here you are working on it's hard to make suggestions but the first thing that comes to mind from your description is possibly you have accidentally set the blend mode of the layer to something other than normal. Either the layer behind the tree or the layer the tree is on.

I'm thinking along similar lines but I'm thinking Bump Blend Modes.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 985
Size:  83.1 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I'm thinking along similar lines but I'm thinking Bump Blend Modes.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 985
Size:  83.1 KB
    This helped. Thanks to both of you for helping. I guess I will go finish watching Up and Running with ArtRage.