Hello,
I am a comic drawer, and my drawings are done with pencil on paper and inked with black pen or brush, and then scanned. I make up the layout in Desktop Publishing, and then I usually color it in Photoshop.
And I hate Photoshop, but it's the only way I know how to color my drawings, outside water coloring on the paper. And if you know an album is usually 44 pages long, and each page has about 12 frames, wich is 12 drawings, that makes ± 528 drawings. You'll understand I would rather do it in an easier way than watercolor...

So, since I really, really hate Photoshop, I am searching for ways to color my drawings in an other way. I took ArtRage hoping it would be possible.
I made a few pretty little paintings, but when I pasted one of my drawings (in black and white) on an ArtRage page, and started coloring it, the 'paint' smeared over the black lines.
I saw something that said "layers", which made me think of Photoshop, and I made a layer, tried to color that, but that didn't work. I didn't see my drawing anymore, it was on the first layer, on the other one there was nothing.
I have to figure out how to actually see the drawing, on my screen, be able to color it, (going across a line or so is no problem), but NOT smear the lines.
The colors have to be "transparant", so to speak.
I must admit I haven't thoroughly explored every nook and cranny of ArtRage yet; I reckon if one of you who is real good at this, tells me "Sorry, no, sir, that's going to be impossible no matter what, that's not what ArtRage is for" or something, there's no use in me studying it for hours or days or weeks if it's not going to be of any use anyhow.
But I'd love it to be possible, for as I said before (twice), I really hate Photoshop.....

So, please tell me right away, is it at all possible to do with AR what I would like to do with it?
And if yes, can you point me in the right direction? It would save me tons of time, and I would be very very grateful!