Thread: interface looks blur/low-res on surface pro 4

interface looks blur/low-res on surface pro 4

Hi all. Just downloaded the trial to consider this program. On my surface pro 4, because of its high resolution screen, the menu and buttons all seem a little blurry. Is this a known issue and is it going to be fixed? Its a pity because it's absolutely been my favorite experience using this app to do some sketches.

Or perhaps there isn't this issue in the paid Art Rage Lite/4?

The demo will always act the same as the paid version, with the exception of the explicitly limited features, so I'm afraid it will look the same after purchase.

We do intend to add hi-res support, but it involves rewriting the entire program, so probably won't show up until ArtRage 5.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    The demo will always act the same as the paid version, with the exception of the explicitly limited features, so I'm afraid it will look the same after purchase.

We do intend to add hi-res support, but it involves rewriting the entire program, so probably won't show up until ArtRage 5.
    Thanks for the reply! Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    I bought a Surface Pro 4 chiefly to use ArtRage. When it arrived yesterday and ArtRage ran all pixelated, I rushed to the forum to find out how to fix it, only to read that my expensive investment wasn't supported by ArtRage and you weren't going to support it for ages. Suffice to say I was decidedly frustrated and angry.

However, you're mistaken. This morning I tried compatibilty mode and there's a "Scaling for High DPI" option. Disable this for ArtRage and it can use the full screen. The UI is tiny, but usable, and I can draw at native res. So @Onlybylight - right-click the ArtRage icon, choose properties > compatibility > disable the Scaling for High DPI option, and you can use ArtRage as it should be used.

The only issue then is that the brushes are tiny. ArtRage supports > 100% brush sizes, but the scaling widget is capped at 100% so you have to enter the larger scales numerical which is a slow process. This would be a very easy change to make in the app (there's currently a scale = Max (scale, 100) or similar in code), so can @HannahRage suggest and confirm it'll happen in the next patch? That is, allow the brush scaling widget (bottom left) to go beyond 100% when dragged with the stylus. If you do that, I'll upgrade from Studio Pro to 4 for that feature alone.

Because the brushes aren't actually designed to work above 100% and can show some odd behaviours when running at larger scale the upscale feature isn't available on the general slider. This is something that we will be looking at but it's part of the whole process of replacing the app and its interface with something high DPI aware, something that's not quite so straightforward for pixel based painting with a non-standard interface. What you've done there is tell Windows that ArtRage supports High DPI, which it technically doesn't, and while you could scale the panels to 200% in Preferences to try and make up for that, the actual solution involves basically rewriting the entire front end so it's not something that's going to happen overnight.