Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodland Scene

Woodland Scene

I have been finding it hard to get motivated lately. A mistake I think to be reading so much about techniques - causing me to lose confidence in myself. Back on the road again I think/hope. This was loosely based on a painting by Asher B Durand.

Name:  Woodland Scene.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  121.3 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I have been finding it hard to get motivated lately. A mistake I think to be reading so much about techniques - causing me to lose confidence in myself. Back on the road again I think/hope. This was loosely based on a painting by Asher B Durand.

I often had the same problem with too much technique reading because, apart fom the usual general and golden rules all teachers provide, You get vaguely enthusiastic, but You soon discover that they don't actually help inspiration and each of them, eventually, developped their specific process according to their nature, style etc., and this is the same for You who cannot get really satisfied by just sticking to the processes and style of someone else, moreover without hoping to get the same resuslts which took them yaers or decades to fine tune ... You have to learn by Yourself too and to a considerable amount. Say 20% reading 80% doing at start then more and more excercise ...

This painting. IMO, shows that You can get an impressive and rich outcome even breaching quite a few rules ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Beautiful painting!

Always on the look out for inspiration. This is so well done. I think your education got absorbed.

Thank you dearCaesar for those wise words.

And Marilyn Anne for the gentle encouragement.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post

I know what you meen. Al the information, techniques and ways to work are many.I lose motivation also sometimes...I'm there now.. I start a painting, but havn't the patience for it right now. It's good to let it go sometimes.. Do other stuff. Here on this forum,we al creativ people..Motivation finds you when the time is right,my creativ friend ...The painting of you looks great by the way.

Thank you Danny - I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Technique is what makes us better and the results may be way more satisfying -- on that level. But the actual anticipation of the resultant picture and the painting of it has to be fun to make us want to take the time to do it over and over. I think technique and patience is what separates the pro from the amateur (pro meaning whether people would pay to have it as opposed to making the distinction between whether actual money is being exchanged). Nothing at all wrong with amateur mindset. Because Art is fun.

But once one becomes practiced at technique it becomes second nature and it's no longer a distraction, much the same way that when someone is learning the piano, at some point the keyboard falls away and thereafter it's entirely about interacting with the music.

Because there are so many diverse techniques out there, the challenge in it all is finding what one will make their own. The major pitfall there is just endlessly copying other people's work which is just sort of like work. Technique is a good and necessary step to learn as an artist, but learning how to compose and how to say something with one's own voice is the place someone on the path to mastership wants to get to.

And it's all too easy to be weak in that area if one only copies and only works on technique. I didn't learn that until very late in the game myself because I was so focused on perfecting technique and the "end game" to use a chess analogy. And while I got people to admire my craftsmanship which served to get me work, I never owned my stuff because I wasn't able to take a vision of my own to finish with boundless enthusiasm and all the fundamental stuff being as it should.

The irony of that looking back was that it's fairly easy to learn composition after all -- if you have the wit to pay attention to that bit. But I didn't have someone giving me advice. And as such I lost out on the most fundamental joy of being an artist -- creating something that was unique and mine. So I didn't have that fire in the belly that makes for great artists. And so my craft became work. Good income. No voice.

That worked fine for people hiring someone looking to hire an artisan to make a slick product to sell after they had the early stuff approved and conceived. And the people doing the hiring of artists wanted a good polished finish. So that's where I put all my efforts, never thinking that early part of the process and my voice was important because it wasn't to what I was getting paid to do. However, doing that meant was there was a fairly low ceiling for personal growth with nowhere to grow beyond that in that business context. (ie. I "sold out" without realizing that was what was happening. It wasn't all bad. It could be fun like doing a puzzle. But it was also devoid of Soul for me, and as time passed, I got to where I experienced more of what it wasn't than what it was.)

But if you're not motivated to paint from drawing a fat paycheck, and you're looking do do art from inside, learn how to come up with the initial vision and you will forever after find motivation (if not obsession) to where you can't wait to get to the next piece and the next. We pick up technique along the way as we're being artists. That will just simply happen. But focus on your own voice first and all else will come to you.

I'm speaking to you in your place in life where you're probably less interested in becoming an illustrator and are more about becoming a fine artist, gallery type artist. I started as an illustrator and I was broke at the time so chasing a paycheck took precedence over my Art. You probably can have a more pure motivation where you're chasing joy and can afford to do it the Creative Artist's way round.

Right. So as to this painting. It rocks! It's fantastic. You learned a lot and so it's time to move on to your next painting.

Last edited by D Akey; 03-06-2016 at 04:25 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

June, this is a fantastic art piece, great job, it was also interesting on DAkeys comments, you totally accomplished a beautiful painting

Impressive. I think you can stop second-guessing your abilities.

As usual dear DA there is much to ponder in your comments.

I'm not aiming to exhibit or sell my paintings - they are just for my personal pleasure. Naturally I want to improve - hence my studying of techniques by reading and watching videos - mainly brushwork. - I would love to be able to paint loosely like our dear friend Pat. Not being able to do this is frustrating and I guess caused me to feel a little depressed about where I was going. I am by nature a perfectionist and this is probably holding me back and preventing me from allowing my own personal style (if I have one) from developing.

As for copying - sadly my imagination let's me down - I need a photo or painting to give me ideas - I'm trying to let them guide me rather than follow slavishly. If I sit here at my computer waiting to be inspired it could be a long wait.

I have found the romantic landscapes of the Hudson River School of artists very appealing and might delve into those for some inspiration. I also enjoy painting animals - especially their eyes.

Well that's enough of the pity party - let's fire up AR and get painting!!!!

Thank you to Pat and Bobbi, for your lovely comments - they are really appreciated.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.