Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horse on the Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Please don't be deflated - it's a beautiful painting of a very beautiful animal. As you are new to ArtRage and it's tools, you have done a commendable job with this painting. I look forward to seeing more from you.

EDIT: I found the picture you used as a reference and your painting is very close to the reference photo - including the 'blackness' - perhaps blend the area where the foreleg attaches to the chest - there seems to be a division/line that doesn't appear in the photo and wouldn't be there in real life. I think the Friesian stallion's neck looks a little overdeveloped because we can't see his thick wavy mane. A little more work on the mane would improve that part of the painting. You captured the likeness very well.

BTW - here is a link to the photographer's site - http://hypofocus.com/index.html You asked about copyright in another post. As the photographer sells stock photos of horses and has also published a book of her horse photos - this photo would be copyright protected - you could contact her and ask permission to use her photos as references for paintings.
    Thank you so much...I will persevere and all the tips I'm getting here are very useful. I will work on the suggestions I have been given. Thank you so much for you

Quote Originally Posted by pattyedge View Post
    Thanks again. Now that these points have been pointed out...I can see them clear as day! I feel a bit deflated but I guess this is a steep learning curve and better to have them pointed out early in my digital learning curve and let's face it that's why I posted here, to benefit from more experienced eyes. thanks I take it all on board.
    Don't get down, dear mate. The good news is that You started better than most of us, the exception usually being persons who were already artists and professionals.
    When You get some observation and specific comment upon a request of critics, it's because the artwork deserves and can be improved. I would get depressed if anyone say it's OK or give no concrete and constructive comment. In that case either You were perfect (and largely and widely enthusiastic statements would be heard or it's a half disastrous start and, politely, some generic encouragement words would be provided). So "Sursum corda!" or "Up with Your hearts" (for people who missed Latin courses at school).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Don't get down, dear mate. The good news is that You started better than most of us, the exception usually being persons who were already artists and professionals.
    When You get some observation and specific comment upon a request of critics, it's because the artwork deserves and can be improved. I would get depressed if anyone say it's OK or give no concrete and constructive comment. In that case either You were perfect (and largely and widely enthusiastic statements would be heard or it's a half disastrous start and, politely, some generic encouragement words would be provided). So "Sursum corda!" or "Up with Your hearts" (for people who missed Latin courses at school).
    Thank you. I think I am more frustrated with myself for not seeing the "eye" and the wrong shading on the front right leg, in particular. They seemed so obvious once pointed out. I have modified those and am working on the lighting on other areas. I do appreciate all the constructive criticism

Thank you. I think I am more frustrated with myself for not seeing the "eye" and the wrong shading on the front right leg, in particular. They seemed so obvious once pointed out. I have modified those and am working on the lighting on other areas. I do appreciate all the constructive criticism
    In the end the work MUST be for you. It's your horse, in your minds eye, interpreted through your artistry. It is not the reference photo, it is not even the real horse from which the picture was taken... and it is not for any of us commenters or anyone else.

The Art you make is first and foremost for you. It must do for you and achieve for you what you "will" it to.

That horse, the beach, the clouds, the sky, they are all yours as the artist. Own it an be proud of making it what you will it to be. If along the way we can help you with your process and help you to achieve your goals, well I guess it's a good thing... but it's only a little push along the way... the journey and the destination are no one else's.

Hi
    Just beginning in ArtRage.This is a copy of a photo I found on Facebook. I cannot give credit to the photographer as I have not been able to find the post again, but it was not copyrighted or watermarked.
    Gentle but honest critique would be appreciated.
    You start with a really difficult painting..But You're on your way.. Get the value right,and the painting will look better also. Easy sade and done.. I know. A great painting takes alot of time. But that Doesn't matter.. No rush..I watch alot of YouTube videos and learned somethings from it.The timelapse videos on YouTube are abit misleading also..Looks to easy. Take your time,and enjoy the process. You are doing well allready :-)

Excellent advice

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    In the end the work MUST be for you. It's your horse, in your minds eye, interpreted through your artistry. It is not the reference photo, it is not even the real horse from which the picture was taken... and it is not for any of us commenters or anyone else.

The Art you make is first and foremost for you. It must do for you and achieve for you what you "will" it to.

That horse, the beach, the clouds, the sky, they are all yours as the artist. Own it an be proud of making it what you will it to be. If along the way we can help you with your process and help you to achieve your goals, well I guess it's a good thing... but it's only a little push along the way... the journey and the destination are no one else's.
    Thank you that is really good advice and something that will definitely stay in my mind.

Thanks for this.... it's funny you finish your picture and think everything is fine and then when others point out things you can immediately see what they mean!
    So true! I get that a lot!

Even though you did ask for critique, it's true the art is mainly for you and for your enjoyment. If you don't enjoy it, it's just a chore. So just enjoy and take criticism with a grain of salt For all we know, you may not have been looking to paint a realistic horse!

The thing about copyright and its misuse is that there are people all over the web saying stuff is theirs when it's not, because so many photos are without provenance so people just nab them. So we could be asking for permission and that person is a con to start with. So many rules and regulations done to death.

Copyright

Interestingly Enug pointed me in the right direction of the person who took the photo, so I contacted her anyway as a lot of her photos are copyrighted and she said she had no problem and even asked to see a picture of my artwork.

That is good news!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I think it's beautiful, and the advice that you have already been given is good, but I personally like it as is. The contrast between the black and white highlights is striking. A piece of art doesn't have to be technically perfect to be lovely to look at! (Also, you have chosen one of my favorite subjects, so my opinion might be a little biased...lol.) Keep it up!
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher