Thread: ArtRage crashed during save - file corrupted

ArtRage crashed during save - file corrupted

Hello guys,

I really need some help here. ArtRage crashed during the save procedure. When I reopened the file all my layers but 2 of them disappeared.

The project file is 40mb and if I try to import my file into a new layer everything appears (but it is flattened of course).

Is there something I can do. I would not want to miss 3 hours of work.

Thanks,
    Nikos

Hello niklef
    If you have already successfully managed to open the corrupted .ptg file as a single image file then I’m afraid I don’t think there is much more you can do
    The only other thing might be to go through any backup files of the project you have and see what can be done with any of them in conjunction with the retrieved flattened image. And try and rebuild from there.
    Sorry there’s not much else I can suggest I’m afraid
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Does ArtRage keep any automatic backup files somewhere?

Yes AR can do but you have to have set it up yourself first. So sadly will not be of help to you this time round

Go to AR Prefs and open the Advanced tab > Store Backup Files. In there you can set the number of backups it will make (max is 20) before the earliest ones start getting lost out the back as new ones come in at the front.
    These backups are not fully automatic as they are only made each time you save. So you do still need to remember to hit save once in a while as you work!
    These backup files are automatically placed in the same location as the file generating them. Because of this it's also a good idea to give each painting file it's own folder to live in just to keep things orderly!
    There’s a bit more info about it on p107 of the AR manual.

If your OS is keeping automated periodic backups at regular time intervals, like for example 'TimeMachine' on Mac’s, then you may be able to find a usable file from them.
    Even with automated systems in place it’s still a good idea to make your own incremental version backups at key stages of a project too.
    Finally if possible try not to keep all backups on the same physical drive. Have copy's on other drives, USB sticks, cloud storage etc...

Of course how far you take all this backing up depends on your levels of paranoia!
    Last edited by markw; 02-20-2016 at 05:35 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram