Thread: Artrage will not get out of full screen

Unhappy Artrage will not get out of full screen

I just updated to OS X 10.11.3. I'm using Artrage 4.5.9. The thing I do is open art rage, and I have an old habit of hitting the green button in the upper left, to resize the window to full size. Yes, I know, El Capitan is not the first version for that button to put it into full screen mode, but I have old Apple habits. Now, I cannot get Artrage to get out of full screen mode. I have tried the escape key, I have tried command, control F, I have tried quitting the program and it reopens in full screen. I should probably try and get used to working in full screen mode, but it's annoying that I can't get out. HELP! IS this an Artrage problem? I'm afraid to try it with other apps in case I can't them out of full screen mode.

Thank you,
    Elaine

i don't use Mac but i looked this up for you, hope it works

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/leave-full-screen-os-x/

Thank you for your effort, but that is the exact article I found and nothing worked. On Yosemite (the last OS) it worked, I'm not sure if I ever used it in Artrage, but I know I used the escape key in other programs and it worked.
    So, for now, I'm learning to get used to full screen. Who knows, maybe it will be good for me. I use 2 large monitors and still have so many windows open that I often loose a window in the mess.

Hi elainep,
    Fear not the solution is at hand!
    Top left of the screen is a menu bar that can be expanded/collapsed.
    When collapsed it's quite small and just says ‘Menu’. If it’s collapsed just click on it to expand it and the button you want is second in from the right. (Be careful not to hit the coloured X next to it as that will close the App!)
    Name:  FullScreen.png
Views: 1561
Size:  46.2 KB

Also if you want you can open AR’s ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ panel by going to; Menu Bar > Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts… and go to the last section ‘Window Commands’ where you can set your own key shortcut to toggle in and out of full screen mode.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

You Did It!

Thank you, thank you. I thought I tried that last night and it didn't work, but it worked this morning. Also, I agree it would be a good idea for me to set up a command for that.

I should probably try and learn to work with both full screen and split screen. I just tried split screens in photoshop this morning.
    When I'm working "at work" which is advertising, I need so many windows open, usually I'm bringing in info from old ads, I have 2 email windows open. (I like incoming mail from MAIL but one of my clients wants me to use Gmail, because it gives her a paper clip icon when I send an attachment.) Then there's internet searches I do all day long.... Illustrator, photoshop, Word and Excel!

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi elainep,
    When collapsed it's quite small and just says ‘Menu’. If it’s collapsed just click on it to expand it and the button you want is second in from the right. (Be careful not to hit the coloured X next to it as that will close the App!)

Also if you want you can open AR’s ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ panel by going to; Menu Bar > Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts… and go to the last section ‘Window Commands’ where you can set your own key shortcut to toggle in and out of full screen mode.

Thumbs up Phew! Thank you!

Hi Markw,

(and thanks Elainep for asking the question)

Really love ArtRage and its functions and how close it comes to drawing/painting on paper/canvas. The only thing I run into regularly is the navigation. I'm pretty sure the reason is that it's developed for both Windows and Mac. Very minor issues considering the overall quality.
    But this drove me nuts.
    So simple....sigh of relief!

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi elainep,

Hello George and welcome to the wonderful world of ArtRage
    Glad you found it helpful too
    Yes, some of AR’s UI possibly doesn’t conform strictly to Apple UI guidelines but I like to think it give AR more “character” than some other paint apps have!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I'm having a similar problem of sort. Whenever I exit fullscreen, my applications bar ia blacked out (even my desktop screen turns all black). But if I bring the pointer to where the applications menu bar is, the drop down selections (for file, edit, view, etc.) would appear. It is a little frustrating. I am using an El Capitan iMac.

Talking Screen going black in full screen mode

I just had the same problem. I was working in art rage, and decided to go to full screen - no clue why- when I hit the diagonal arrows, the screen became smaller with a black border, but didn't return to normal view. I did it again, and that time my screen went black. Luckily, I have 2 monitors, I tried everything to get out of full screen but finally had to force quit Artrage. Suddenly my monitor came back to life, but of course, my changes to my painting was lost.

Please don't tell me it's the mice?!?!?!

We were looking in to this one with the earlier user via email and so far it looks like a change in the windowing method in 10.11 means that if you go in to full screen mode via the Window's green 'expand' button then leave via the ArtRage Min/Max button you get the problem. Saving your painting with Ctrl-S should still work so you won't lose data, but we're looking in to what has caused it and how we can fix it for an update. In the meantime, if you enter full screen and leave via the Min/Max button on the ArtRage menu bar that shouldn't cause the problem.