ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: introduction to abstract expressionism using ArtRage tutorial?

Cool introduction to abstract expressionism using ArtRage tutorial?

Am a new user experimenting around with ArtRage Software, it's very cool!

I've always loved the style of the abstract expressionists and would love to learn the basics.

Are there any type of tutorials available that might give tips on how to use ArtRage to create abstract expressionist
    type of acrylic-style painting, like the kind I've included here?

Here are a few samples of Abstract artist willem de Kooning, but he didn't use ArtRage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abstraction-1950.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	488.7 KB 
ID:	88923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d316eeb905ae356cadb8c56b61f3f93d.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	88924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de_kooning_1958_002_015_framed-4-_wide-f6a637d3f4f134a342797a7b531661148f63db06.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	88925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	de-kooning.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	88926

What's not to love about DeKooning's paint surfaces. I was very interested when I got into art in a serious way lo those many years back. But I never did anything with it in the real world cause I couldn't afford the studio space and materials.

I don't think he had someone telling him how to push paint around either. If you want to be authentic, do what he did. . .experiment. I think what you may be drawn to is the energy and surprise factor in his action painting. I don't know if the experience of action painting is as accessible on the computer. His end points came as a result of the scale and materials.

I've never seen any tutorials on that kind of thing. Doesn't mean they aren't out there somewhere. And I don't personally know that you can get that look directly using the defaults. You would have to find your way into it.

However, I could see a couple ways to cheat it to get that look. But it would miss the spontaneity. (I'm not the most facile with all the AR tools and settings. So my saying this is just thinking out loud if I were after that look.

1) look in customization of sticker brushes. There's a whole lot of flexibility in that.

2) You could slap paint around and cut bits out and make a collage and then go in and eliminate the seams. After a while you could build up a catalog of stencils and clips and all that.

3) You could try slapping paint around and then cutting parts out and paste them on another layer and then stretch the heck out of them to maybe give that long brush attack look. Only problem with that might be that you end up pixelating and blurring the surface of that section so that it doesn't all look the same.

4) You might try putting down colors with the paint tube and smearing it with the palette knife in a direction then erasing out the parts that don't work. Again you will have to monitor the blur level it leaves those bits with. Mind the settings of the nature of the knife.

5) USE LAYERS and that will let you work on parts without messing the whole thing.

6) The [UNDO] feature allows you to try things to see what happens without the actions becoming permanent.

7) Save often with unique names when really reaching into new areas.

I wish you luck and a lot of fun. I'll also watch to see if anyone's done anything like that.

I'm fairly certain the look is achievable. It's a matter of the process of getting there being worth it to you or not. Oh, and cover your floor with lots of spilled paint and get an air freshener that smells of turpentine, put on your stereo some loud ambient inner city street sounds, and you're off!

I'm rooting for ya!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

It's not a tutorial, but you might enjoy https://www.artrage.com/artist-feature-gary-hopkins/
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Re: that link of Hannah's:

Gary posts in the Gallery Section of the forums all the time and is very friendly and I'm sure approachable in PM or in the forums.
    He's been around the block more than a few times over the years with experimental styles.

I have to say I'm very impressed with that linked selection.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Abstract is a very personal form of art. It can come about by emotional reaction to things happening in one's life. Each artist sees things in their way. Some works express anger, some express joy of life. It can come from any direction. I cannot see how abstract can necessarily be taught other than by learning what the tools at hand offer. ArtRage is a fantastic tool for experimenting. Do not just look at the surface use of the tools, experiment, dig into the possibilities. Surprise yourself and enjoy the creative possibilities.

Hi mcurran, I love de Kooning's works as well, such great energy , colors and textures. I used to be a natural media ( watercolors, acrylics and oil paints and oil pastels ) who mainly painted landscapes.. then gradually moved to an abstract style because I wanted to explore more colors, and focus on line edges, textures and compositional varieties. So I have been using digital media for nearly twenty years first using MS Paint with a mouse!.. today there are so many great digital painting apps it is hard to keep up, but Art Rage is certainly one of the most capable with the lowest learning curve of any of them. You did not mention your current setup, but if you are serious I would invest in a Wacom pressure sensitive tablet if you are using a desktop system or its equivalent in a tablet stylus if you are using an ipad or android tablet.

It takes time to learn your own voice as a painter, so feel free to copy and explore any artist whose works you admire, start slow and explore the tools and how they can work together, in ArtRage look at the stencil tools and they Art Brush presets, as well as all the great stuff available in the art materials section... learn to use layers to build up your work and study the paintings like the ones shown to see if you can understand how he painted it and in what order the colors and brush work was done, blending modes are your friends so just practice by doodling around and adding new layers and making brush and sticker sprays on different layers and change the blending mode of the top layers..so see what they do, Multiply, overlay are the ones you will use the most ...

I use Photoshop and ArtRage together to create my works... check out the ArtRage tutorials and Photoshop tutorials available on you tube, and if you want Lynda.com has some amazing and through training available.. so don't worry about doing "art" initially just have fun learning and follow what interests you and you will finally get to a point where you are creating your own works... it is a wonderful journey so enjoy yourself..

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    It's not a tutorial, but you might enjoy https://www.artrage.com/artist-feature-gary-hopkins/
    Informative link, Hannah. Thanks! Haven't seen these pages before so aim to go through them for an enjoyable read-through this week. I haven't found the site particularly easy to browse over the years, so this is a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    Informative link, Hannah. Thanks! Haven't seen these pages before so aim to go through them for an enjoyable read-through this week. I haven't found the site particularly easy to browse over the years, so this is a treat.
    They're pretty new, we've been putting them out over the last year, and there are definitely some fantastic artists in there - I'm glad you like them! And we're definitely working on the site (...on and off, among other things). If there are any bits that you (or anyone) find particularly horrible to get around, please let us know and we can see what we can do to improve things.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!