ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to keep reference image from disappearing when starting to sketch...

Question How to keep reference image from disappearing when starting to sketch...

Can someone help me keep the refernce image im using always visible? Every time i put my pen to the tablet the reference image disappears then reappears when i take the pen away. Any way to keep the reference always visible?

Hello rlangston77 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Well that’s strange
    In the normal course of events, reference images and other panels like Tool Settings, Presets, etc… should only “disappear” as you are making a brush stroke that would pass through the same screen space that they occupy, so as to not get in your way.

The only way I can replicate what you describe is to make a reference image nearly fill the whole canvas. Could this be what you have done per chance? In which case just reduce it’s size some.

If that’s not it then could you give more info about your version of ArtRage and Operating System.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thanks for the reply. It is not even covering 1/4th of the screen but I am zoomed in on the canvas so it is overlapping with some part of the canvas. I am using a surface Pro 3 with Windows 8. ArtRage version 4.0.2.

Also, it doesnt always make the reference disappear, its maybe 8/10 times I start to make brush strokes.

Hum, so the ref is not overly sized…
    Well, there is a “hit zone” that extends around all panels which triggers them hiding.
    So possibly you are working much closer to the reference image than you thought and accidentally triggering the hide behaviour? Just a thought.
    You could test this by gradually moving away from the ref until such time as it stops disappearing when you touch the screen. And if you’ve reach the other side of the canvas before then maybe something else is wrong.

I see you are using ArtRage v4.0.2. I would also recommend that you update your copy of ArtRage to the latest version just in case it’s being caused by something odd in 4.0.2.
    The latest version is 4.5.9 and you can download it from the Members Area where you registered your current copy of ArtRage.

Other than that, not having your hardware and OS to experiment with I can’t really offer much more practical help I fear
    Last edited by markw; 01-31-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

markw's pretty much covered everything, but there's one more (very odd) possibility I can think of.

Go to Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts and find the References group (you might want to collapse all the groups first using the menu button). Is there any kind of shortcut assigned to Hide All References?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!