ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: slow inking with surface pro 4.

slow inking with surface pro 4.

hello,
    i am getting extremely frustrated with the lag of the pen on the page in artrage4. when i use my pen with onenote there is almost no lag at all. but inside artrage4, it not only lags about a centimeter behind the pen tip, but when i'm drawing lines, sometimes it doesn't register until two or three cm's later. this is driving me crazy. please let me know if there is a work around.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems! This could be caused by a few different things, so can you check a few different things for me?

1. Does it matter which tool you use? Is it just the ink pen, or does the oil brush/pencil/roller etc lag as well?

2. Does the lag disappear if you use a very small canvas? (What size files do you normally work with?)

3. What version of ArtRage 4 do you have? (go to help > about ArtRage for the full version number)

4. Does the 'lag' change predictably if you increase/decrease the pen size, or does it depend on how fast you move?

5. If you go to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Advanced Preferences, what input settings do you have active?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems! This could be caused by a few different things, so can you check a few different things for me?

1. Does it matter which tool you use? Is it just the ink pen, or does the oil brush/pencil/roller etc lag as well?

2. Does the lag disappear if you use a very small canvas? (What size files do you normally work with?)

3. What version of ArtRage 4 do you have? (go to help > about ArtRage for the full version number)

4. Does the 'lag' change predictably if you increase/decrease the pen size, or does it depend on how fast you move?

5. If you go to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Advanced Preferences, what input settings do you have active?
    first, thanks for the reply. next:
    no, it seems to happen with every tool. a lag of about a centimeter.
    have not tried that yet, but will do it, and report back. as i have uninstalled the program right now, and will reinstall it.
    i think it is 4.02, but i will check that when i reload it.
    it definitely depends on how fast i move. if i move very slow, the lag is very little. but with a quick stroke, it doesn't even show up for a centimeter or two.
    i have used default settings, and only changed a particular tools pressure or a few other values. but again, i will go and look and report it back later.

the frustration is how it affects my drawing something. i have to redraw the line about five times just to get it correct, and that gets old really quickly, and turns me off from drawing on my tablet.

Ok, 4.0.2 is pretty old now - the latest version is 4.5.9. It might not be the problem, but you might find it works better now.

You might find it easier to just grab the demo instead, if you're not sure you want to reinstall - it should act the same way as the full program: https://www.artrage.com/demos/

And one more thing to check:

Which cursor are you using? The outline (circle), precise (crosshairs) or tool icon? If you're not using the outline cursor, try switching to that and see if it looks different (the cursor covers the entire space of the stroke you are about to make under the stylus, so it makes it a bit clearer whether it's a lag, or just the gap waiting for input).

You can switch tot he outline cursor by pressing '2' or going to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Cursors

Ok, 4.0.2 is pretty old now - the latest version is 4.5.9. It might not be the problem, but you might find it works better now.

You might find it easier to just grab the demo instead, if you're not sure you want to reinstall - it should act the same way as the full program: https://www.artrage.com/demos/

And one more thing to check:

Which cursor are you using? The outline (circle), precise (crosshairs) or tool icon? If you're not using the outline cursor, try switching to that and see if it looks different (the cursor covers the entire space of the stroke you are about to make under the stylus, so it makes it a bit clearer whether it's a lag, or just the gap waiting for input).

You can switch tot he outline cursor by pressing '2' or going to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Cursors
    thanks for the advice. i appreciate it very much. i will give it all a try and let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: OK i loaded the demo, which acted just like the reg program. i changed cursor to the circle, and it seemed to do a bit better, but there was still a delay, especially when i work in small detail. sometimes the stroke doesn't even register, and i have to draw it over and over until it does. not sure why this would be happening, with over a thousand points of pressure on my pen tip. but it is definitely still there.
    but i do have to admit that it seems a lot better after removing threading from preferences.
    any other tips or tricks to help with this? while i like the rest of the software, not picking up on brush strokes is a deal breaker for sure. it just gets too frustrating.
    Last edited by stevae; 01-28-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevae View Post
    i changed cursor to the circle, and it seemed to do a bit better,
    Okay, some of this, especially the cursor bit, is down to the live simulation stuff. ArtRage works very differently to other software programs, and it needs to wait for your input then calculate the result, rather than going 'oh, black pen = fill this area with black" before you've finished.

So what you're seeing here is the stroke gap. It's ... something I completely ignore now, because I'm used to it, but can be quite jarring if you aren't used to it. The stroke gap is basically the area 'under' your brush - any movement you make will change what it looks like, so ArtRage has to wait until you've moved the cursor, and the area gets larger with larger tools.

The Outline cursor shows you where this area is. The Precise cursor just sits in the middle of the gap.

There's a longer explanation and some images here:
    https://www.artrage.com/faqs/why-is-...ap-in-artrage/

Anything *outside* that is actually lag.

I'm just going to go check if there's anything else that might help with what you're seeing before I answer the rest.

Okay, the fact that it gets better without threading indicates that something odd is going on. We're going to need to do a bit of troubleshooting, so can you contact us at support@artrage.com? We'll need to know which version of Windows you're running as well.

Okay, the fact that it gets better without threading indicates that something odd is going on. We'll need to know which version of Windows you're running as well.
    i am using windows 10 x64, on a surface pro 4. with intel's latest graphic's drivers the 520.