ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Issues with Cintiq touch…

Issues with Cintiq touch…

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is having a great 2016 thus far, and thanks in advance for your advisement on this!

Over the holidays, I finally got a Cintiq 13HD Touch. Getting acclimated with it over the past few weeks, playing around with ArtRage and of course some other programs.

I love ArtRage, it’s my first choice painting program, unfortunately though there’s a bit of wonkiness with the Cintiq touch controls. Painting actually is nice and speedy (no lag) even on big canvases at 300DPI; it’s the touch controls that are problematic.

Let me first give you my hardware / software setup, then go into the issues:

Machine: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

ArtRage: Most up-to-date version.
    Wacom Cintiq 13HD Touch: Most up-to-date driver, I think.

CINTIQ 13HD TOUCH / ARTRAGE ISSUES

The primary issue here is that the touch controls -– that we’re used to with iPhones, etc. -- are doing the OPPOSITE in ArtRage than what they should be doing. So, this has nothing to do with canvas size:

• Pinching fingers together make the canvas bigger on screen (whereas it should making it smaller, like we’re zooming out).

• Spreading fingers apart make the canvas smaller on screen (whereas it should making it bigger, like we’re zooming in).

• When I want to move my canvas up or down, left or right, it’s also doing the opposite of what it should do. Ex: moving my fingers towards the right causes the canvas to move to the left (whereas the canvas should move to the right with my fingers, like how a piece of paper on a desk would move with your hand).

• Just FYI, rotate touch controls work okay (but not great), but ARE directionally correct. So if I move my fingers counter clockwise, the canvas rotates appropriately with them.

• One other issue is the unwanted “finger painting” that probably has been discussed elsewhere; that touching the screen sometimes puts down unwanted color spots, etc., and what we want is for only the pen tip to put down color.

Understood that this could all be due to a combination of ArtRage, OS, and the Wacom driver, and that Cintiq’s could have moody responsiveness issues in general…

…however, I’m not experiencing most of the above in other art programs. I really, really would love to fix these issues in ArtRage, as it’s again, my first choice painting program, because of how strongly it emulates traditional media.

Any fixes for these issues?

Thanks guys!

D

Okay, that's officially weird. ArtRage uses the OS standards for input, so it shouldn't be acting any differently than the rest of your software, but Wacom's drivers can cause problems sometimes. We'll talk to Wacom and see if we can find out whether they're doing anything that would cause issues with ArRage.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thanks Hannah! Let me know if you need any more info, or would like me to direct message you. Obviously would like to resolve asap, thanks!

D