ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: V 2.1 / crashing & no auto-save

Exclamation V 2.1 / crashing & no auto-save

Hi

I've used Artrage 2.1 quite intensively in the past three weeks on the iPad pro.
    I didn't keep a record how often the app crashed, but in the past two days and especially today Artrage crashed so frequently that I decided to report it here.

It also struck me that this seems to happen while the 'prompt to save' doesn't appear for some reason, causing me to lose 10-15 minutes every time.
    There hasn't been an update though during the time, so it seems odd that something should change: the only thing that changed during that time was a slowly expanding gallery: the total size of 'documents and data' is now 173 Mb.

Can it be that I'm hitting some ceiling here?

And I was also wondering why there's no auto-save? I'd think that if it is possible to periodically make a popup appear prompting me to tap it to save my work, it might just as well do so without my tapping it.
    I would at least hugely appreciate it, because it is kind of distracting when you're really deep into something.

Cheers!

ArtRage saves can take a while due to the amount of data that has to be saved - interrupting work with a long save can be a bit disruptive so we decided to avoid forcing that and instead opted for the periodic prompt.

If there have been no updates to your iPad or the app since it started happening then you may find that closing parked apps and rebooting helps - If something has become 'stuck' that is causing a crash then this may resolve it. Check out the instructions here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?41659

The data in the documents folder may be gallery paintings, but if you're not saving lots of them then it's more likely to be Undo data. Restarting the app fully (as per the instructions above) should clear that data. There's no hard cap on that, and the amount of data in there, be it gallery or undo, doesn't have any impact on actual painting but it would be interesting to see if that changes things.

One thing I should ask: A bunch of people in the past appear to have 'created new paintings' by just clearing all the layers from an old one and painting a new one on the same canvas. This leaves huge amounts of undo data resident and can take storage space. Have you been creating new paintings using the create option?

We also need some info regarding what you are doing when you experience the crashes. Could you email support@artrage.com and let us know:

1. Whether it happens during paint strokes, or at some other point.
    2. If it happens during painting, which tool it usually happens with.
    3. Have you been leaving the app and coming back to it.
    4. Whether the tool picker / colour picker are open.

Basically, we need to try and narrow down the circumstances in which the crash happens so that we can try to replicate it here and get it fixed.

Edit: One question - I've been trying to replicate the problem here and done some deep analysis of the auto save prompt. I can't see any issues but could I ask you to run with the option to prompt for auto saves turned off for a bit? It's in the Preferences panel. If the crashes stop then I know there's something in that system triggering it even if I can't see it happening here.

I also forgot to add that the Save prompt only appears if you have made changes since the last save so that may be why you don't always see it pop up.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your answer!

Re. Creating new paintings, for this particular series of drawings I work like this: I created a template painting that has the required number of layers (4), the dimensions, canvas settings and tool setting that I need. All layers in the template are empty.
    When I start a new painting I make a duplicate of that template painting in the gallery, rename it and open it to work on.

They are all 500 X 500 pixels and though they all have have four layers, on average only two layers contain artwork - this is because of how the images are processed to use in an app.
    The gallery contains about 90 of those paintings now. Next to that there are about 20 other paintings of varying size.

I should have mentioned that I already tried rebooting and closing parked apps ... it's usually the first thing that comes to mind when an app crashes, because the memory might be too full.

I'll try it with the prompt turned off!

I'll mail you with the answers to your questions.

EDIT

Since I already answered some questions here I thought I might just as well answer the other questions here as well instead of putting those in a separate e-mail:

1. Whether it happens during paint strokes, or at some other point.
    I think it is always during paint strokes. I'll pay special attention to that from now on and let you know if it also happens at other times - it might also be when zooming in or out (pinching / spreading gesture), since I do that a lot.

2. If it happens during painting, which tool it usually happens with.
    Most likely the pastel tool.

3. Have you been leaving the app and coming back to it.
    I do that at times, yes, though not very often while workinig one one painting. I usually finish it in one go.
    I'll pay attention to that as well from now on.

4. Whether the tool picker / colour picker are open.
    Yes, that is always open.
    Last edited by Lúthien; 01-09-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks for the information - The canvases you're using are definitely not likely to be causing the problem at that size. We've got a small number of devices that appear to be having a crash problem of some kind at the moment and we're working on trying to replicate it. Unfortunately (odd though it sounds) the app has been really stable in testing so we've been unable to find out what's going on. I'll see if we can find anything working in the kind of environment you describe - any info helps as it should start pointing us to whatever the root cause of the problem is!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Lúthien - Could you drop an email to me (matt@artrage.com)? I'd like to run through some specific tests and if you contact me I can get you some details on how to go about it.

Thanks!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.