Thread: Spike

Spike

Oil on canvas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	239 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	88658  

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio1958 View Post
    Oil on canvas.
    This i don't understand!. The other ones you did,you put alot of effort into it.. Maybe its modern art.. What do i know..I have to be honest..

It reminds me of something else that I can't recall -- a painting with this kind of simplicity. Interesting certainly. Did it accomplish what you were out to try?

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by danny72 View Post
    This i don't understand!. The other ones you did,you put alot of effort into it.. Maybe its modern art.. What do i know..I have to be honest..
    It may mean nothing, it may look a scrabble, it may be seen and perceived as childish, primitive or arrogant .. but I DID put an effort in it, searching the colours, the right dimensions, the position and trying to print a sense of violence generating from a peaceful interiority ...
    Having said that, I thank you Sir for your criticism because that Is what I truly need to improve my art. Hence, please, I would love if you could tell me with equal honesty your opinion on the first few paintings I posted on this thread.
    Respectfully, Fabrizio

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    It reminds me of something else that I can't recall -- a painting with this kind of simplicity. Interesting certainly. Did it accomplish what you were out to try?

Yes Sir, as mentioned on my reply to a previous post, I wanted to express a kind of repulsive violence generating from a peaceful interiority. Whether I accomplished that, future generations will say .. 😉😉😉

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio1958 View Post
    It may mean nothing, it may look a scrabble, it may be seen and perceived as childish, primitive or arrogant .. but I DID put an effort in it, searching the colours, the right dimensions, the position and trying to print a sense of violence generating from a peaceful interiority ...
    Having said that, I thank you Sir for your criticism because that Is what I truly need to improve my art. Hence, please, I would love if you could tell me with equal honesty your opinion on the first few paintings I posted on this thread.
    Respectfully, Fabrizio
    I'm happy that you didn't get angery about the comment i gave.. About the other paintings you did,i have to say,that i like that much more.. I'm Not a modern art fan.. An advice i can give you,that its maybe a good thing to check out alot of tutorial about digital painting (youtube)and learn from it.. Its a long road to go,and you never stop learning.. :-) Greetings

Fabrizio1958...Abstract art generally is not my favorite genre but that said, after reading your your comments and gaining an understanding of your intent and ideas for this painting, I would say that you accomplished what you set out to do. This type of art is generally left for the viewer to reach their own interpretation. My immediate impression when I first saw the painting, and before knowing your thoughts about it, was that it was harsh in some way and difficult to look at. While that isn't exactly the same as your explanation,it could certainly describe a persons reaction to witnessing violence. I think this work expresses just the kind of emotion you were going for even if the viewer isn't aware of it specifically.

I certainly don't see this as childish or arrogant. I am not very qualified to judge such things but to me it works compositionally as well. The lightness of the center portion has enough of it's own weight to balance the stark black stroke. The orange erupts from the center like an explosion and is a good lead in to the black stroke. The black is powerful and my eye is certainly drawn there but there is enough movement to keep your eye exploring from one area to another. I'm glad you shared your thoughts behind this; what you were trying to accomplish and your consideration of color. I used to think very little of the work of Jackson Pollack even though there were paintings of his that I found visually appealing. I saw it as a kind of prank on society that couldn't possibly have any actual artistic purpose behind it. Then I saw a film about him in which Ed Harris played Pollack. I have no idea how accurate it was but it was very well done and it showed me that he did indeed think about what he was doing with the paint, even agonized over it. It gave me a broader perspective and a deeper appreciation.

You started with a blank canvas and an emotion you wanted to convey. And you achieved your goal using very few colors, a "simple" composition and no recognizable shapes. I'm not sure there is a more difficult task in art than that.
    Last edited by jmac; 01-05-2016 at 04:20 AM.

Jmac, as I wrote on another post I do like to paint various styles however abstract modern art is what attracts me the most. I am a rookie; painting was my life up to secondary school and teachers strongly suggested my parents to send me to an art academy. Instead became an engineer, tsss :-) In my last 40 years became a musician, an airplane pilot, a football coach and some other crazy stuff but never went back to painting until I discovered ArtRage and digital painting. This long introduction is to explain all the different styles I am exploring. It's a bit like opening an old trunk full of memories which had been sitting forgotten up in the attic 🙂

So it turns out to be the thorn that was lodged in your artistic spirit so many years ago that you were finally able to free up. Now it can heal and you can paint as much as you like. Good turning point for you. Symbolic image.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream