Thread: Will you support the azimuth and tilt of the Apple pencil?

Lightbulb Will you support the azimuth and tilt of the Apple pencil?

I really enjoy artrage on my iPad pro and find it really giving me a feeling of drawing traditionally on the canvas,

but the only problem is, that you cannot change the shape of brush by simply tilt the brush like you do with really brushes,

some other apps do make a size change option with the pencil tool according to the tilt so it allows you to shade. Similarly when we draw with brushes, we also change the azimuth to control our brushes, so that we can amply draw different type of stroked without changing the brush, this is important especially when we are drawing some oriented texture, like the shape of the hard rock fraction or the perspectived building walls, or even when we shape the highlight of the water with a knife, so I really want those features, this will make drawing easier and allows more technic to be applied on the canvas.

Another thing is, I saw you guys optimized the deadzone of the brush movement when the color picker in enabled, because the Apple pencil doesn't stop still on the smooth screen, but that make it really hard to work on small details, the little strokes are always regarded as long press and it began to pick color, I do think you can give an other option, like, I don't think any one will stay on the color picker tool for long time, so is that possible to automatically switch back to the brush tool after a color is picked? That allows one-click-colorpick or just drag out from the palette to begin picking a color from the canvas?

Those are just advices, I know programming is difficult and we keep coming out with endless request, I'm grateful for your patient and really thank you for offering us such a good app, I just wish it better.

We currently do support the tilt data coming in from the Apple Pencil. Our oil brush is a fairly tightly clumped brush head and as a result you may not see that much variance with tilt, but if you use the pencil or pastel tools you'll see a significant difference as you tilt the stylus. The airbrush, gloop pen, and glitter tube all adjust their spray 'cone' based on tilt as well.

The 2.1.2 update that's coming makes some changes to the input model that increases the accuracy of the input system and solves a pressure problem when Tap and Hold sampling is turned off. When that's available, I'd suggest turning the tap and hold option off if you are finding that the sampler is active when you're trying to draw small details.

Thumbs up Tanks, I saw that.

Thank you for your reply, I checked the pencil tool and found it actually support the tilt, works well!

by brush I mean the square brush or flat brush, I saw the brush is stroke-oriented, which, changes the shape always towards the direction you move your brush.

I remembered that my teacher once told me, that when you want to make some clear edge of super straight lines, you will not want to use your brush vertically to the canvas, because the pressure will change the size of the stroke, even you draw straight lines, the edge of the stroke is thus curved, instead, you will want to use a flat brush and tilt it almost parallel to the canvas and use the upper tip to make the edge, this will let you control the edge of the stroke as you wish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 5.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	88623

so this is actually what I meant, I draw sometimes buildings and horizons finding it a little hard to get a clear straight edge, that is why I wish such a feature also with the oil brushes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1910.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	88624

Forgot to quote before...

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    We currently do support the tilt data coming in from the Apple Pencil. Our oil brush is a fairly tightly clumped brush head and as a result you may not see that much variance with tilt, but if you use the pencil or pastel tools you'll see a significant difference as you tilt the stylus. The airbrush, gloop pen, and glitter tube all adjust their spray 'cone' based on tilt as well.

The 2.1.2 update that's coming makes some changes to the input model that increases the accuracy of the input system and solves a pressure problem when Tap and Hold sampling is turned off. When that's available, I'd suggest turning the tap and hold option off if you are finding that the sampler is active when you're trying to draw small details.

Check my last reply and happy new year!

Thanks for that feedback, it gives me a pretty good picture of the kind of behaviour you'd like. I'll add that to my list of things to consider for the paint simulation as we progress!

I also would like to see this behaviour

I would also like this feature quite a bit.

Any updates on this? I'm waiting for this behaviour to be available 😄