Thread: Paper texture not showing through

Paper texture not showing through

I recently wanted to use a rough burlap as the paper texture, so I imported a picture of it and applied as I added it to my canvas group. However as soon as I paint (I'm using oil, normal round) the canvas texture doesn't show through. Do I need to further process the burlap picture before i import it? I'm attaching both the start of my painting ane the burlap picture.
    Note: It seems like it would be helpful to the administrators and the users if a .ptg file could be uploaded. That way the person reviewing the file could check all the settings, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurlapBW.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	91684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-12-18.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	91685  

This could be one of two things.

1) How did you import that? It looks like it's just a background image - this is what the Grain version should look like (although I know you might have added it as a pattern as well).
    Name:  canvas texture.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  128.2 KB

2) It's just not 'rough' enough for a visible effect with thick paint. Test it with the pencil or watercolour to see if that shows texture. If there is texture, it's just very faint, then you want to:

- increase Roughness in canvas settings
    - edit the original image to boost the contrast to get more dramatic black/white effects (which is what creates the grain).

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Ingram View Post
    Note: It seems like it would be helpful to the administrators and the users if a .ptg file could be uploaded. That way the person reviewing the file could check all the settings, etc.
    It would be nice but PTGs tend to be pretty large and our bandwidth would curl up and cry. If we really need to take a look, you can always contact us directly by email.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Ingram View Post
    maybe try sendspace.com if you need a free temporary hosting; deviantart also uploads zipped files just fine iirc.