ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A Couple of Abstract Art Quizzes

A Couple of Abstract Art Quizzes

June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

disaster for me on both LOL

Fun.

It's funny because they even made entertainment movies about chimps being able to do Pollocks and all that trendy (at the time) abstract expressionism.

I still maintain that whole market was artificially manufactured by the people selling the works. Shows the power of manipulation. Those marketing tricks have been repeated in many business ventures where they wanted to get people believing there was value in something where there inherently was none. . . and then subsequently there was because the ball got rolling where people could make money off of people who had been convinced of the value in it. It's not very different in effect from the notorious pyramid scheme (which they did outlaw here).

The difference is that the side effect of all this is that it did massively extend the range of what artists could play with. And it became an art in spite of the crass side of things that started the movement IMHO. And some of the things that came from all that can be appreciated on certain levels. It changed the world of Art.

Here's an experiment to illustrate why the marketers are the real artists: With honesty being the requirement - try selling a toddler's piece of art and a Pollack. While the toddler's work has no value, the Pollack is worth millions. That value distinction is very real because the Pollack probably started out being sold back in the day for 100 dollars, to pick a number out of the air. And along the way it got more and more valuable and each owner made a profit along the way. The difference is that by buying a Pollack one gets all the caché that goes with it. You're smart, you're clever, you're a visionary, you're business minded and probably wealthy, you support the Arts, you're elite--in certain circles.

Shows that Art is nothing without context.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I find it kind of disheartening, actually. In my mind abstract art should be more structured. But that is just my feeling on abstract art. I do not especially like "messy" art. But as they say, "to each his own."