ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question about wacom tablets

Question about wacom tablets

So I recently purchased the full version of ArtRage, and I love it. I have been doing all my art with a mouse, and I have been wanting to get a tablet. My wife said that since my birthday is coming up that I could look at getting one. I am probably going to get a Intuos3, but I have a question about how they work.

With the smaller tablets, does the surface of the table correspond to the screen, meaning that drawing a line from one side to the other of the pad would result in a line from one side of the screen to the other? If so, it would seem that I would have to draw at a smaller scale on the pad than my strokes in the program appear.

If that is the case, I am concerned that the 6x8 may be too small for me (I have a 19" monitor that runs at 1280x1024 resolution). What do you think? Would the 9x12 be worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance,
    Carl

Hi Carl

The surface of the tablet does in fact correspond to the screen. So when you point in the top left corner - the cursor jumps there. And when you lift the pen and sets it down in buttom right corner - the cursor jumps there. It's a wierd feeling at first, but you quickly get used to it (and love it). Straight lines are difficult though.

I have a cheap ($25) tiny Volito (active area approx. 5x3.75") and a 1280x1024 screen. I am just amazed how accurate it still works. But for very precise works i would still zoom in anyway (PageUp/PageDown) so its no problem.

The biggest 'problem' is that 1280x1024 = 5:4 and the volito is 4:3 (like the old monitors). But the driver has settings to overcome this problem simply scrinking the active area of the tablet. I think most of the tablets are 4:3. Still haven't seen any targeting 5:4 monitors.

I cannot advice you if the extra cost is worth the money. I think the bigger ones have many more buttons and I don't know if Artrage can actually handle those.
    Anyone?

Best,
    DoodLS

Well, I splurged and went for the 9x12. The deciding factor was the ability to utilize a small corner of the tablet for whole screen navigation and the rest of the tablet for fine detail work. Seems like the best of both worlds. I am going to be holding the tablet in my lap with the front edge leaning on the table, or have it on a table that is to the right of me when I am sitting at the computer. I would have had to do the same with the 6x8 as well. I'm planning on upgrading my computer desk in the next few months, so I'll be able to accommodate it easier.

Ever since my wife and I decided I could invest in a tablet, I've found it harder to draw in this program or any other. Every time I do, I can't help but think that it will be much easier in a day or two.

Carl

Looking forward to hear your expirience with you new investment. I have read many who find it a bit difficult to learn in the start. Using a tablet pen is a very slipery and it feels quite 'alive' at times. A tip I read recently on these forum pages was to place an empty paper sheet on top of the tablet. This will to rough the surface a little.

Best of luck,
    DoodLS