Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Pencil Issues

Okay - Normally I'd edit my old post but this is worth a new post about...

A big guy in red just dropped an idea down my chimney and I managed to decipher it and implement some fixes for an update.

First up - I've all but removed the blob when tap and hold sampling is off. I say 'all but' because there are still some situations in which it might occur due to timing issues (if you paint a really fast stroke or your iPad just happens to be bogged down with processing other stuff at the time of a stroke it may produce an off result), but the behaviour is way nicer. I will be addressing this further in another update that will rewrite the whole way we handle strokes, but I think this is a good workaround that will allow me to get an update out to you in the short term.

Second up - I've removed the gap between the starting input point of the stylus and the start point of the stroke when in Tap and Hold to Sample mode. That one was slightly trickier but it should now be spot on. Turns out that there was a small flaw in the logic for handling the location of deferred strokes and I've beaten that in to shape.

I don't know exactly when the fix will be available. I'm aiming to submit the build tomorrow and as far as I know the store doesn't have any specific scheduled closed time over the New Year break so it may be available next week. I just have one more small issue to deal with before I get it going...

Thanks for letting us know the details on this, it's really helpful having specific information on problems. Internal testing can never quite cover the entire range of issues that can hit a product like this and we really appreciate everyone who takes the time to communicate issues with us and help when we ask (sometimes seemingly unimportant) questions.

You Rock Matt! Thanks for your dedication in stomping out bugs when they appear in the cracks!!!
    Robert Hopkins

That's what's great about Artrage. You always get first class support.

Thanks Matt and crew.

Mike

Excellent stuff Matt, a great effort!

Nice job Matt. Works much better now. I still have a few issues with the pressure on Apple Pencil but it's nice to see how much you are listening to the users. It's a great app that has it's own niche. I am struggling with the way pressure is used. Strokes are always too narrow at the start then get wider. A flat brush needs to start out flat and the default width size. Then get wider with pressure from there on. It might be good to have a setting on the brush presets to disable pressure sensitivity if we want to. Then at least there is a work around when we feel pressure is misbehaving or we want a consistent stroke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	286 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	88850

Top row is round brush bottom row is square brush.
    Strokes are too hard to manage with pressure right now. Always narrow at the start no matter how big the size of the brush is set.

But working much better overall

The pressure is something we're looking into and hope to have a fix for soon. The Pencil's pressure handling changed since we added support for it, so it's not acting quite as intended.

I understand the pressure problem if Apple has changed things. I would still like to see an option to disable pressure as part of the brush preset. I understand I can use my finger now and it will react without pressure but I'd prefer to use the pencil. Even if I could disable pressure all together for the pencil in preferences that would be better than not being able to disable it at all. One step better would be to add adjustments for minimum and maximum size for pressure per brush preset like Procreate does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	89101

I'm experiencing this blob at the start of the stroke. This is making the square brush unusable for me

Also would you consider making a brush shape that corresponds to a flat brush and the angle change depend on the direction you're holding the pencil, instead of just following the stroke direction? I think this will make the oils much more realistic and I'll be happy to buy it as IAP. They are my favorite brushes in traditional painting

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    The pressure is something we're looking into and hope to have a fix for soon. The Pencil's pressure handling changed since we added support for it, so it's not acting quite as intended.
    Have they changed it with the iOS update?

Quote Originally Posted by furea View Post
    Have they changed it with the iOS update?
    Still being worked on! There's a few fiddly tech things involved.