ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 2.1 / iPad - Canvas shows rotated 90 degrees CCW in layers popup and gallery

  1. #1

    2.1 / iPad - Canvas shows rotated 90 degrees CCW in layers popup and gallery

    Hi,

    When I opened Artrage tonight I noticed there had been an update to v.2.1
    I opened the drawing I had been working on yesterday and noticed that it appeared rotated 90 degrees CCW in the layers panel.

    I use the app in landscape mode and don't use the orientation lock.

    To test things out I created a new one layer painting and drew the letter A - and sure enough, it appears rotated CCW in the layers panel:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	88481

    I can rotate the canvas to make the two views equal again, but when I load the painting again it reverts back to the state with the differing orientations.
    When I rotate the device to portrait orientation, home button at the bottom, the two layers panel and drawings match. In all others it is off.
    In short: it's as if the canvas no longer matches the rotation of the rest of the app when the device is turned.

    It's too bad that I can't check how v2.0 worked in that respect, but I'm pretty sure that I would have noticed the problem if it had already existed before today...

    Any idea what the problem is?

    Cheers
    Lúthien
    Last edited by Lúthien; 12-15-2015 at 11:51 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    1,856
    It looks like you've just created a portrait canvas - you can turn it sideways, and the UI will rotate so you can keep working. The layers panel is showing you the 'true' orientation of the image.


    To fix this:

    1. Rotate saved paintings from the gallery (press and hold on a thumbnail or go to the 'fullview' and tap the cog icon to bring up the menu).

    2. Doublecheck your dimensions when creating new paintings

    You can quickly swap width and height using the green doubleheaded 'arrow'/bracket symbol, or you can pick a landscape canvas from the Presets.

    Name:  ipad canvas seize.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  17.0 KB


    You can check the dimensions on your current painting by opening the layers menu and tapping the cog symbol at the top > menu > Canvas Settings.

    Now, you can also rotate the actual canvas with your fingers, as we added this feature in the latest update (find it in Preferences). This won't make the portrait canvas landscape, but it will let you work on it from different directions.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

    This is not my signature.

    Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

  3. #3
    Hello Hannah,

    Thanks for your reply.
    A portrait canvas would be a nice Zen Koan - in cases where you have a square canvas, as I had

    So I'm afraid that's not it. I already tried all the things you suggest, maybe it's best to show in more detail what happens:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	446.9 KB 
ID:	88528

    (1) I create a canvas of 500 square.
    (2) drawing an arrow pointing up
    (3) in the layers view you can see it's pointing left, not up
    (4) in the gallery it also points left.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	88529

    (5) in the gallery, rotating the canvas 90 degrees CW
    (6) arrow points up again. Hurray!
    (7) load picture again ...
    (8) but it now points to the right!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	88530

    (9) however, in the layers menu it points up still...
    (10) now, let's try rotating the canvas WITHIN the app ...
    (11) and behold: both in canvas arrow and the layer menu arrow now point up
    (12) even in the gallery it looks correct

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	88531

    (13) ... but woe and alas! When I load the painting, the arrow right again!
    (14) ... though it points up in the layer menu.

    All this was made with the iPad (pro) in landscape position, not orientation-locked.
    I'm not sure how this behavior could be intentional, so I wouldn't be surprised it's a bug.

    After all, this in-app rotation business is brand new, isn't it?

    Cheers,
    Lúthien

    PS there's also something off with the gallery. On 4 & 12 you can see the contents laid out as if the device was held in portrait mode (though it wasn't) while on 5 & 6 the items are laid out landscape-wise. They seem initially to be in the portrait mode, but after I do the rotation on that canvas, the contents is spread out over the complete width.
    Last edited by Lúthien; 12-20-2015 at 12:03 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    939
    Hello Luthien,
    I don't have an iPad, let alone an iPad Pro so can't really offer advice on this but just wanted to say I loved the way you demonstrated your case!
    Quite entertaining in its way.
    I really hope you can get this sorted out soon.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

    Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

  5. #5
    Thanks Markw!

    I try to imagine how the reverse situation would be: if someone would try and explain a problem they have with something that I made. I would definitely appreciate it if they would present it in a light-hearted way; I find dealing with 'aggrieved customers' very difficult (though some people can handle them wonderfully well). And then again, being a programmer myself, I know how it is with software: bugs are unavoidable if you've just introduced some new functionality and even the best tester can miss some.

    Though humour can be difficult, too. There are some user communities out there where I made that mistake - like SMF or JBoss that seem to be dominated by the grim, tight-lipped über-correct type of people who work for airline security and customs
    But not in here, luckily

  6. #6
    I thought that maybe there was a connection with the square canvas that I used: possible cases of functions where 'portrait' or 'landscape' was being determined using the width and height numbers and "hmmm ... was it !((a >= b) || (h < w)), or ((a > b) && (h <= w))...?" floated across my mind. So I tried it with rectangular canvases as well.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	402.5 KB 
ID:	88535

    (15) creating a landscape canvas of 750 X 500
    (16) drawing an arrow pointing up: and yes, it shows up correct in the layers menu!
    (17) and also in the Gallery.
    (18) so then I tried creating a portrait canvas of 500 X 750

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	88536

    (19) on opening it shows up in landscape orientation, though the layers menu shows the portrait orientation.
    (20) in the Gallery it shows up in Portrait orientation
    (21) ... and also when loading the painting ...
    (22) ... and inside the app it turns landscape again.

    Again, all with the device in landscape orientation, home button on the left.
    It's interesting that all goes well when the canvas is defined as landscape. The problem only arises if it is a square or portrait-format canvas.

    I also tested it with holding the device in portrait orientation, home button below. It turns out that the problem is exactly the other way around: a portrait canvas works fine, but a landscape one gets turned on its side. The borderline square canvas is fine, too: apparently that's treated as portrait.

    Hope this helps!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,140
    Thanks for the detailed info, we'll look in to that for an update early in the new year, our 2.1.1 update is currently awaiting review and I'm guessing it won't be approved before the holiday break...

    Regarding the gallery: The orientation of the thumbnail in there is always the actual orientation of the image. If the image appears rotated in the gallery then that will be because the initial orientation of the canvas on the screen when the file was created wasn't what you expected when you painted the arrow.

    Regarding the layers panel: The Layers panel is the same, it displays the contents if the layer in their actual orientation, so in the case of your A the 'top' of the canvas isn't the edge that the top of the A pointed to.

    The general rule we try to apply when you create a painting is that the canvas orients to your device to fit the aspect of the painting to the screen in the orientation the device is currently in - so in theory a portrait image when created will appear 'upright' on the iPad if your iPad is oriented in portrait. If the iPad is in Landscape, 'up' on the portrait canvas will generally point to the opposite end to the home button. Because the canvas is blank when it appears, it's sort of hard to tell what the orientation is at creation time, but as I note above, you can always tell from the gallery what the actual orientation of your painting is (note that digital image files have an absolute 'up' value, which is why you may need to rotate the painting in the gallery if it's not right).

    In the case of square images it should always appear with the top of the canvas at the top of the screen, but that may not be happening.

    When you open a painting from the gallery we do a bunch of convoluted work to try and match its orientation to the device, we'll check in to that for the next update to make sure it's working. If the canvas is incorrect when it appears but correct in the gallery I'd suggest turning on canvas rotation in the preferences panel, turning on the 15 degree rotation toggle, and you can rotate it manually to the correct orientation. It's not perfect, but it's a workaround while we look into it.


    Edit: I forgot to add - the reason this started happening in 2.1 is that we replaced the entire canvas system including all of the layout and touch and stylus input systems. The old system was responsible for some slowdowns and memory usage that we wanted to fix for the sake of performance. We spent a lot of time testing it (it was a huge update for a point release) but a few things may have slipped through. Fortunately, the new system we're using is simple enough internally that we should be able to nail this one quickly!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Thanks for the detailed info, we'll look in to that for an update early in the new year, our 2.1.1 update is currently awaiting review and I'm guessing it won't be approved before the holiday break...
    Thanks! It's not a blocker anyhow.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Regarding the gallery: The orientation of the thumbnail in there is always the actual orientation of the image. If the image appears rotated in the gallery then that will be because the initial orientation of the canvas on the screen when the file was created wasn't what you expected when you painted the arrow.
    That makes sense: it seems that the simplest way to describe what happens is that the canvas is rotated in the app to match up with the device's orientation - but not the layers or gallery thumbnails.
    If I assume that a square canvas is treated as having a portrait orientation, this means that it will be rotated 90 degrees when the device is in landscape position. In screenshots 1-5 this can be seen: I drew an upwards-pointing arrow on a rotated canvas, so that it pointed left when viewing the canvas in the right orientation in the thumbnails.
    If I then rotate the canvas 90 degrees, screenshots 7-9 make sense, because the (square, interpreted as portrait) canvas is being rotated in the app again, so now it appears pointing to the right.

    And, as Hannah said, doing a manual rotation in 10-11 would only persist until I exit to the gallery - and indeed, it still shows OK there, because nothing actually changed. On loading the painting again, it would still show up rotated - for the same reason as in 7-9.

    I suppose the case of a square canvas is so confusing because it's not obvious when it's being rotated, and one would neither expect it to be treated as if it was a portrait canvas. In the latter examples using the rectangular canvases it makes more sense.


    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The general rule we try to apply when you create a painting is that the canvas orients to your device to fit the aspect of the painting to the screen in the orientation the device is currently in - so in theory a portrait image when created will appear 'upright' on the iPad if your iPad is oriented in portrait.
    As it is now, if I create a portrait image - 500 wide, 750 high - with the device held in portrait orientation, the canvas will indeed appear in the correct orientation in the app. No problem there.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    If the iPad is in Landscape, 'up' on the portrait canvas will generally point to the opposite end to the home button.
    This is what I demonstrate in screenshots 18-22: when creating a portrait image - 500 wide, 750 high - with the device held in landscape orientation (as I always prefer to use it, anyhow), the canvas will rotate to match the device's landscape orientation.
    Said otherwise: if I create a canvas that matches the device's orientation, I'm fine. Nothing is rotated.
    But when it does't match - or if the canvas is square, things can get a little funky

    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Because the canvas is blank when it appears, it's sort of hard to tell what the orientation is at creation time, but as I note above, you can always tell from the gallery what the actual orientation of your painting is (note that digital image files have an absolute 'up' value, which is why you may need to rotate the painting in the gallery if it's not right).

    In the case of square images it should always appear with the top of the canvas at the top of the screen, but that may not be happening.
    I think it does not with the device in portrait orientation: a square canvas seems to be interpreted as portrait, and it is rotated.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    When you open a painting from the gallery we do a bunch of convoluted work to try and match its orientation to the device, we'll check in to that for the next update to make sure it's working. If the canvas is incorrect when it appears but correct in the gallery I'd suggest turning on canvas rotation in the preferences panel, turning on the 15 degree rotation toggle, and you can rotate it manually to the correct orientation. It's not perfect, but it's a workaround while we look into it.
    Indeed!


    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    Edit: I forgot to add - the reason this started happening in 2.1 is that we replaced the entire canvas system including all of the layout and touch and stylus input systems. The old system was responsible for some slowdowns and memory usage that we wanted to fix for the sake of performance. We spent a lot of time testing it (it was a huge update for a point release) but a few things may have slipped through. Fortunately, the new system we're using is simple enough internally that we should be able to nail this one quickly!
    wonderful, thanks for your reply!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Staffordshire! UK
    Posts
    975
    I am having the same problem I updated tonight only to find when opening the painting its rotated, in the gallery its the correct way round . I also notice the program is no longer showing under apps in my Ipad settings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	251.2 KB 
ID:	88550
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

    Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

    http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,140
    We don't use the iPad Settings app any more, preferences are all stored in the Preferences panel in ArtRage itself for easier access.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •