ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wet on Wet Oils

Wet on Wet Oils

I'm not very experienced with wet media, or how it's emulated in ArtRage. Anyone that could give me some insight on ways I could emulate the style of this image (originally done by John Larriva), I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When I use the palette knife it gives this type of effect, even sometimes leaves little bits of paint behind. Maybe you could try that.

It's not always in the brushes that effects are made, it's in other tools used on top. My experience anyway.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hildee View Post
    When I use the palette knife it gives this type of effect, even sometimes leaves little bits of paint behind. Maybe you could try that.

It's not always in the brushes that effects are made, it's in other tools used on top. My experience anyway.

Hope this helps.

I think what I'll need to do is use more layers to achieve the look, if not the actual physical behavior. Thanks for the insight!

Try filling the canvas with white paint first. The oils will then interact with the background. You can just keep painting away with wet oils until it looks the way you want, but you might find layers and experimenting with the tools a bit makes it a lot easier (...it depends on whether you want the Look or the Fun of painting more).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Try filling the canvas with white paint first. The oils will then interact with the background. You can just keep painting away with wet oils until it looks the way you want, but you might find layers and experimenting with the tools a bit makes it a lot easier (...it depends on whether you want the Look or the Fun of painting more).
    Hannah, the only issue I have with that method is the limitations of the paint mixing engine. I sometimes get strange outcomes when colors mix, like with wet on wet. I do think I can achieve the look with some layering though. Thanks!