ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: BLUR..I can't find a tool to blur a small section?

BLUR..I can't find a tool to blur a small section?

Is there a tool to blur small sections or lines?
    Artrage is missing the valuable smudge tool found on other programs.
    So I am wondering how you blur without having to resort to using 'watercolor' which changes the colors causing this not to be an effective blur.
    also watercolor does not blur well when you are creating small detailed areas.
    thanks, Regina
    Last edited by regenaz; 12-10-2015 at 09:37 PM.

The Palette Knife has various blur presets - you will also find a smudge preset there. The watercolour brush is not used for blurring. If you want the colours to run together, there are papers and presets for this too. You need to check out the presets for each tool and learn how to use them to your advantage.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Actually, you *could* blur with the watercolour - just set thinners to 100% and Color Bleed up and no visible pigment will be laid down (it will be 100% water). For some very subtle colour, turn Color Bleed down to 0% You can also smudge with the oil brush by setting loading to 0%.

Name:  water colour oil brush blending.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  85.8 KB

But the best options are the three 'softer' palette knife modes: Soft, Blur and Wet. You can find these in the Settings menu, or options using the different modes in the Presets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blur palette knives.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	378.8 KB 
ID:	88445

ArtRage 4 also has a 'Blur Layer' option (Edit > Blur Layer).

Name:  blur layer.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  101.2 KB
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Red face Many thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    The Palette Knife has various blur presets - you will also find a smudge preset there. The watercolour brush is not used for blurring. If you want the colours to run together, there are papers and presets for this too. You need to check out the presets for each tool and learn how to use them to your advantage.
    Sooo helpful! Those are great tips that I didn't know...

Thanks Hannah!

I have started recommending this program to my artist friends and this was the only area I was having difficulty with. I am so hooked on Artrage! Its wonderful to have administrators such as your self chime in and be so thorough in helping us to understand the functions. Big Thanks! Regina

Quote Originally Posted by regenaz View Post
    I have started recommending this program to my artist friends and this was the only area I was having difficulty with. I am so hooked on Artrage! Its wonderful to have administrators such as your self chime in and be so thorough in helping us to understand the functions. Big Thanks! Regina
    That's awesome! And your question inspired me to create some examples of the different blending options, so that should help other people as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1699607&type=3
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!