ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing a Set into existing painting

Importing a Set into existing painting

Hi, I would like to import a clip art image consisting of a line layer and a color layer both placed in a Set, into an existing image in such a way that both layers are imported.
    I tried via "Import Image File into Layer" but that results in a flat image with no separate color layer.
    I use this in Photoshop to add clipart into architectural renderings to add plants, trees and people into the scerne in such a way I can adjust or change the colors.
    Is this possible in ArtRage Studio Pro?
    Thanks in advance for your reply,

Rob

Is the original file a PSD file? You can open PSD files normally with ArtRage, or use 'Import Image File', and it should keep the layers separate.

Importing to *layer* will flatten anything you open onto one specific layer.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Importing a Set into a artragr file

Hi, maybe I did not make myself enough clear.
    I have made an architectural drawing and want to add clipart ( like trees, plants and people) into that drawing. The clipart files are PSD's consisting of two layers placed in a set.
    When I give the command "import image file" the set is imported correctly, containing its layers, but it replaces the drawing in which I wanted to place it.
    How do I import them without removing the originsl drawing?
    In Photoshop I open the architectural drawing, then open the clipart file ( now I have two files open at the same time ), then I choose the Move Tool and drag the clipart file into the first drawing.
    So I think it depends on the possibility to open two files simultaniously in ArtRage.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Figee; 12-09-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Hello Rob,
    Might I suggest this;
    Open two instances of AR. One with your painting and the other instance being the clipart psd and then just copy/past the relevant layers over into your painting.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Ah, yes, it isn't currently possible to import multiple layers at once. Markw's workaround (copying individual layers across) is the best option.

Mark,

I'm probably missing something obvious but how do you open a second instance of ArtRage?

If you're on Windows, just go to Start > ArtRage again, and it will launch a new canvas.

If you're on Mac, then you have to use a workaround, because Macs don't let you do this. Go to the Applications folder, find ArtRage, right click on it and duplicate it. This will give you a second copy of ArtRage that you can open.

(required disclaimer: if you're working on the same file or installing an update to the Mac, this may cause some confusion occasionally. It won't break ArtRage, though).

Thanks Hannah. That might come in handy now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Rob,
    Might I suggest this;
    Open two instances of AR. One with your painting and the other instance being the clipart psd and then just copy/past the relevant layers over into your painting.
    Thanks, Markw. I will try that one. It is a trick I had not thought of.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Ah, yes, it isn't currently possible to import multiple layers at once. Markw's workaround (copying individual layers across) is the best option.
    Thanks for all your help. It still is a rather cumbersome procedure, so I thinks I will do this part of the job in Photoshop and then move the whole thing into ArtRage for the finishing touch.

Rob