Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    He's not from Sweden... LOL...

Your artwork is fantastic, always a pleasure to view....
    Thank you! The same about your artwork.. I really like to see all the work people do. All around the globe.. Love it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by danny72 View Post
    Attachment 88378I have chance some bits on this drawing.. Don't no what more i can do to make this portrait better.. Tips are always welcome ;-)
    Okay then, for tips -- When you're dealing with an icon like Elvis, certain attributes stand out for which he is famous -- the hair for sure, and also that sort of wry leering smile with the really full lower lip. Those are a couple things that Elvis impersonators key in on, and for good reason. You have to get those essentials exactly right and believable, even when exaggerating in a caricature.

I think the lower lip needs to be cleaner and perhaps a little more bulbous. Not all things within a source photo are serving what we do with paintings and as an artist, you have to take some liberties occasionally. For example that dark shape on his lower lip to our left seems to bisect it and makes it look a little like an indentation which breaks the illusion of fullness.

Overall, one of the things that would help strengthen your work generally is to sharpen up the precision of your drawing shapes. It's apparent when an area has been worked on a lot. But cleaning it up will make it look more professional. We're translating the image into shapes, edges and volume. Some people take that into the concept of planes so that the lighting and tone supports the whole. So for example, all the individual hairs -- a better approach might be to look at it like a mass with planes, and then work it from that angle, over which some details could be added. But that way it gives it structure and volume.

So my advice is more in the area of approach. Everybody has their own working methods. But that's how an illustrator would often deal with a portrait back in the old school.

We're talking about how to make a pretty decent portrait sing. You clearly have a lot of talent. So this advice is not about tweaking a particular spot on the picture. It's more about the overview. Still loving your work.
    Last edited by D Akey; 12-08-2015 at 05:28 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

danny72 I don't often comment on you works but I do check them all out and you have an amazing ability to capture, and I like that you pick such a variety of people.
    this has improved greatly over the first post. You are an incredibly prolific artist.

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    danny72 I don't often comment on you works but I do check them all out and you have an amazing ability to capture, and I like that you pick such a variety of people.
    this has improved greatly over the first post. You are an incredibly prolific artist.
    Thank you :-) So nice to hear

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Okay then, for tips -- When you're dealing with an icon like Elvis, certain attributes stand out for which he is famous -- the hair for sure, and also that sort of wry leering smile with the really full lower lip. Those are a couple things that Elvis impersonators key in on, and for good reason. You have to get those essentials exactly right and believable, even when exaggerating in a caricature.

I think the lower lip needs to be cleaner and perhaps a little more bulbous. Not all things within a source photo are serving what we do with paintings and as an artist, you have to take some liberties occasionally. For example that dark shape on his lower lip to our left seems to bisect it and makes it look a little like an indentation which breaks the illusion of fullness.

Overall, one of the things that would help strengthen your work generally is to sharpen up the precision of your drawing shapes. It's apparent when an area has been worked on a lot. But cleaning it up will make it look more professional. We're translating the image into shapes, edges and volume. Some people take that into the concept of planes so that the lighting and tone supports the whole. So for example, all the individual hairs -- a better approach might be to look at it like a mass with planes, and then work it from that angle, over which some details could be added. But that way it gives it structure and volume.

So my advice is more in the area of approach. Everybody has their own working methods. But that's how an illustrator would often deal with a portrait back in the old school.

We're talking about how to make a pretty decent portrait sing. You clearly have a lot of talent. So this advice is not about tweaking a particular spot on the picture. It's more about the overview. Still loving your work.
    Thank you for the nice words,and tips.. I have to say that i hade a poor reference.. Its was hard to do.. I'm continue work on it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by danny72 View Post
    Thank you for the nice words,and tips.. I have to say that i hade a poor reference.. Its was hard to do.. I'm continue work on it :-)
    Exactly. I've been in the same situation many times. I think that's where our knowledge of anatomy and understanding of drawing and painting comes in handy -- more than that, it saves the day often times. But I greatly admire you interest in perfection. It pays off. Well done.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Exactly. I've been in the same situation many times. I think that's where our knowledge of anatomy and understanding of drawing and painting comes in handy -- more than that, it saves the day often times. But I greatly admire you interest in perfection. It pays off. Well done.
    I'm learning.. Still work on a bamboo tablet.. Soon i get a intuos medium pro(Thanks to Santa ) I don't know if my work will be improved.. We will see :-)

I see it also(the lips) That looks stranged .. Your right :-)