ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I need help using Artrage and digital painting in general...

I need help using Artrage and digital painting in general...

Hello,

I am in the process of creating a 2d animated short, and I'd like to look at the possibility of using Artrage to paint the backgrounds. The story is about a futuristic society living in space colonies. I've left a screenshot of one of the illustrations I would like to paint below...

There are about 25 paintings to paint, including about 6 establishing shots. I've been drawing and illustrating in Photoshop for about 10 years, although never really been too serious about taking my time to learn step by step how to paint with paint simulation software. My style of coloring before has always involved using lineart and then quickly just filling in a color layer underneath the lineart, which hasn't ever really taken me too much time to do.

I'm looking to see if there are any experienced digital painters here that could lead me in the right direction. My thought is that I would do some monkey-see monkey-do guides/tutorials on Youtube to start.

Another question I have, is for the painting below, to any painters here that are experienced with artrage, what steps would you take to fill in the following painting? I want to depict the city to be very clean and bright, as it's a future in where humanity solved all of it's pollution problems that it has today.

My immediate thought is that I would clump the skyscrapers into groups. There would be the front, the mid and the back skyscrapers clumped together, then there would be the background of the city filled in behind it as another part or layer then the back trees and the sky.

If there's a way to quickly paint in watercolor, and have it be less detailed, I am absolutely fine with that, and in fact that's what I'd welcome. I'd like to be able to finish the backgrounds more quickly.

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thank you very much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pr69D.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	88307
    Last edited by astracat111; 11-27-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by astracat111 View Post
    Hello,

I am in the process of creating a 2d animated short, and I'd like to look at the possibility of using Artrage to paint the backgrounds. The story is about a futuristic society living in space colonies. I've left a screenshot of one of the illustrations I would like to paint below...

There are about 25 paintings to paint, including about 6 establishing shots. I've been drawing and illustrating in Photoshop for about 10 years, although never really been too serious about taking my time to learn step by step how to paint with paint simulation software. My style of coloring before has always involved using lineart and then quickly just filling in a color layer underneath the lineart, which hasn't ever really taken me too much time to do.

I'm looking to see if there are any experienced digital painters here that could lead me in the right direction. My thought is that I would do some monkey-see monkey-do guides/tutorials on Youtube to start.

Another question I have, is for the painting below, to any painters here that are experienced with artrage, what steps would you take to fill in the following painting? I want to depict the city to be very clean and bright, as it's a future in where humanity solved all of it's pollution problems that it has today.

My immediate thought is that I would clump the skyscrapers into groups. There would be the front, the mid and the back skyscrapers clumped together, then there would be the background of the city filled in behind it as another part or layer then the back trees and the sky.

If there's a way to quickly paint in watercolor, and have it be less detailed, I am absolutely fine with that, and in fact that's what I'd welcome. I'd like to be able to finish the backgrounds more quickly.

Any tips would be much appreciated! Thank you very much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pr69D.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	88307
    I'm no digital artist, but i did find this on youtube, you may have already seen it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TmmZuJJJOc

its about painting in a face, but you can probably use the same technique for other things.