Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake Up

Wake Up

I'm working on a new pencil drawing. This is a screenshot of my preliminary sketch. I traced just the most basic outline to get the proportions right; the rest will be drawn freehand. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wake Up Sketch.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	88183

~ Scribbles
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher

And here's my start, roughly blocking in the head of the first tiger. I have a long way to go!

Name:	Wake Up 1.JPG 
Views:	321 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	88185
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher

The head is roughly sketched in.

Name:	Wake Up 2.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	88186

~ Henry Ward Beecher

Haha
    Very Cute

It's been a while since I worked on this, so here's a little update. I'm having fun making this tiger cuter and fuzzier than the original reference photo, though I have a long way to go on the fur and developing the form. I'm not trying to duplicate the stripes exactly because I think it gives the drawing more personality to caricaturize it a little bit, and emphasize the young age and playfulness of the tiger. I've only just begun to develop the fur along his back and shoulder, so that's not final yet. Not sure how I will portray his "victim" yet. Enjoy!

Name:	Wake Up 4.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	89270

~ Henry Ward Beecher

Finished?

This looks great, and very detailed too. Did you manage to revisit it and finish?

Very skilful work. My 12mo kitties play like that.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I think that's one of the pitfalls of doing really laboriously tight work, is that it gets boring to pay all that attention to small detail. It becomes more of a job than a joy. The beautiful results are inarguable. What you have going here is stunning. But if it's this difficult to move forward, it's not ringing your bell, as it were.

It's a shame too because it is so skillfully done. But some people have a personality that likes to just get in there and go to town, along the lines of doing fine needlework. While other painters like to focus on making their statement in a burst of enthusiasm, which once spent, they move on to the next painting. And there's everything in between.

So this one seems to be testing your tolerances which is invaluable for finding your style as an artist.

Great looking piece so far though. There's no mistaking how fine the workmanship is.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

This looks great!

It doesn't test my tolerance. I love fine detail stuff! Lots of my needlework projects take literally years, and I can spend months working on a single drawing without getting bored (I'm autistic with Aspergers' syndrome, which helps lol). I do need to get back to working on this, I just have so many projects going sometimes that I need to rotate them. I'm also a pianist (classical and with my church band), so I spend a lot of time studying music, which takes time away from my art. But I enjoy it all! And my projects always end up getting finished eventually. I'm sort of a chaotic mess lol.

~ Scribbles

~ Henry Ward Beecher