ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Metallic Not Seeming to Show

Question Metallic Not Seeming to Show

Attached is a snapshot of a painting I was making in ArtRage 4 for a project I'm working on. For some of the painting I turned metallic all the way to 100%, hoping to get an effect. It didn't show any effect in ArtRage 4, but when I exported it out as a .PSD to Photoshop CC, all of the metallic showed up. I was using mostly watercolors in the painting. Is this an issue or a setting I need to have on?

(PS on the left & AR on the right)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godzilla_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	88133  

Try pressing F5, to see if you've turned the canvas lighting off? (this will remove all 'depth' effects, which metallics use heavily).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Try pressing F5, to see if you've turned the canvas lighting off? (this will remove all 'depth' effects, which metallics use heavily).
    Ty. I just tried that and it was on already. I also made sure I had it on in the canvas settings originally.

I managed to fix the painting by exporting it as a bitmap (still without metallic) and fixing it where only the fins had the metallic paint (like I originally wanted it to be). But, I can't seem to see metallic in AR for some reason.

Aha, what's the top layer with the blend mode? That might be overriding the metallic lighting effects (because they're shadow based, blend modes can mess with them).

If that's what's happening, you might want to put the metallic layer on top instead. It can have a blend mode, it's only a problem if a blend mode is above the metallic layer.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Aha, what's the top layer with the blend mode? That might be overriding the metallic lighting effects (because they're shadow based, blend modes can mess with them).

If that's what's happening, you might want to put the metallic layer on top instead. It can have a blend mode, it's only a problem if a blend mode is above the metallic layer.
    YES! 😁 That was it. Tytyty. I'll keep that in mind from now on.