ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR automatically shuts down/freezes without saving work

AR automatically shuts down/freezes without saving work

Hi everyone, I am a newbie Atm I am running AR on my LG G4 phone. I make sure there are no apps running in the background to cause memory problems, and there is plenty of available space. At first AR worked perfectly, but recently it has developed problems. Sometimes it automatically closes down without saving any work that hasn't been saved manually. At other times it freezes, which means I have to shut it down (again loosing work) and the app won't load again unless I restart. I love this app, it's the very best. Please help! Thank you.

Ugh, that's not good! There's two things that might be happening here:

1. You really are just running out of memory. Check your RAM/memory usage when ArtRage is running and when ArtRage freezes.

2. There's a specific bug that we need to track down. This one's harder - can you spot any consistent patterns in the crashes/ freezes? E.g. Are you using a particular tool? Going to save? Painting really really fast?
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Ugh, that's not good! There's two things that might be happening here:

1. You really are just running out of memory. Check your RAM/memory usage when ArtRage is running and when ArtRage freezes.

2. There's a specific bug that we need to track down. This one's harder - can you spot any consistent patterns in the crashes/ freezes? E.g. Are you using a particular tool? Going to save? Painting really really fast?

Hi,

I have about 20 paintings in the Gallery - is that too many?

I paint using oils. (using mostly the pencil, the oil brush and the palette knife) The last time I used the app, (a couple of days ago) I cleared the data to begin a new painting. I wasn't painting particularly fast; and after about 5 minutes or so the app just closed down completely - mid brush stroke, and I lost my work. This has been happening for some time, and seems to be getting worse, as does the freezing problem.

I have the impression the freezing thing happens more often when using the 'Hard Out Smear' setting of the Palette knife.. Could possibly be an overload because it does get worse the faster I use it. Please can you remind me how to check the RAM usage whilst using the app?.

I will post anything that happens from now on and look for patterns.. Thanks for your help

It just happened again!

Hi Hannah,
    I just began another painting and after about 10 - 15 mins it shut down again! The app has now become unusable because of the high risk of losing work. I was using the oil brush and not painting particularly fast.

Looking at Apps that are running (I always close apps that are parked in the background when using AR) it appears that System = 0.92 GB, Apps = 692 MB and Free = 1.2 GB RAM.. Is that what you wanted to know?

Thanks again,

And again!

This time it closed after about 1/2 hr.. Made sure I wasn't touching the home button by mistake (I wasn't).. Again using oils, oil tube and palette, and I use layers (3 in this one). There are other smaller problems, like layers disappearing, brushes not working until app restarted.. Can I try reinstalling? I believe there is a real problem here.
    Thanks Hannah

20 paintings should be fine, it's the overall memory on your device that matters, you've given me everything I asked for so far, thank you.

And if you hit the Home button, it shouldn't shut ArtRage down completely - if the app's about to close in a way that will lose work, it should ask if you're sure.

You can certainly reinstall if you want, though it probably won't change anything. You can back up your paintings by copying them from the /ArtRagePaintings folder.

We have had issues with the palette knife before - usually the Soft palette knife, though, rather than the Flat (as that requires far more processing power). We think we fixed that specific crash (when adjusting the size and holding the slider down too long, it would cause the interface to freeze while the preview tried to catch up - and don't ask how long it took me to find that!), but there may be a similar one.

If you can identify exactly which tool you're using at the time, and what you're doing with it, we can start taking hard looks at it from this end. For example, are you adjusting its settings, before it crashes? Or just scribbling away? If it freezes up, can you still interact with the menus? (E.g. pick another tool).

Typical

Hi Hannah;

Typical! I began another painting specifically to document these issues and the app worked showing neither of the above problems.. However I think they will probably reappear, so I will keep you informed..( I haven't reinstalled).

I believe the crashing problem may be connected with the palette knife since there is a delay when using it, and I use it a lot; often on the Hard Out Smear or Just Blend Colours setting. I am just scribbling away, not interacting with the menus. I'm not sure about freezing, I'll have to let you know when it happens again.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Jcat; 11-14-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Amswer

Always happens!

I forgot to mention - if you get the option to send a crash report, please do so. It sends us some behind the scenes data that we can't get any other way.

Crash

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Always happens!

I forgot to mention - if you get the option to send a crash report, please do so. It sends us some behind the scenes data that we can't get any other way.
    OK guys, I was just painting a night sky. I applied oil colours to the whole canvas, I then used the palette knife on a) Hard Wet Blender, b) Just Blend Colour and finally c) Hard Out Smear, when it finally crashed without saving the painting. (Fairly intensive use, but nothing out of the ordinary)

I have quite often had the message to send a report, and the last time it happened I did. Whenever it happens from now on I will continue to send reports.
    Many thanks,

Oh, forgot to ask - what OS are you running?