ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Gradients on a stroke?

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor

Gradients on a stroke?

Is there a way for my brush stroke to start as one colour and end with another colour and do so by percentage? So, sort of like having a gradient mapping/control over the colours as the stroke starts and finishes. Imagine I am drawing a porcupine quill that starts out light brown, becomes a darker brown and ends with a black.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Would love something like that too!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
    Is there a way for my brush stroke to start as one colour and end with another colour and do so by percentage? So, sort of like having a gradient mapping/control over the colours as the stroke starts and finishes. Imagine I am drawing a porcupine quill that starts out light brown, becomes a darker brown and ends with a black.
    I think one way you might be able to achieve that is by using the palette knife set on instant blur. Outline your area where you want the gradient effect. Use either the selection tool magic wand or the "select layer contents" from the edit drop down menu. Paint with the colors you want for your gradient and used the palette knife on instant blur to get your blended look. Then deselect and you should have the look you want. Experiment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient effect.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	88138  

Well, there's the Gradient Fill tool. You can limit the area it fills using the Selection tool, then repeat as needed, or copy the pattern and paste it, or turn it into a Sticker Spray.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!