ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Reflection

Mountain Reflection

Following a Painter tutorial (with AR) by Aaron Rutten.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Reflection.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	440.7 KB 
ID:	88027
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

You got an extraordinary and powerful outcome indeed! A spectacular sight and a curiously almost geometrically built chain made of pyramidal mountains and peaks elements. All colors and tones look very realistic and consistent with the light source!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Looks like you did what you set out to do, June! Nice exercise. And not a bad little painting. It's a stylized technique.

Coming from where I am, where a little more finesse is, I would say that technique is useful to know, but if you wanted to take it to a more realistic from, you might define some more planes on the surface of the mountains, articulating them a bit more. Or if you wanted to stylize it this much, I would perhaps suggest that you mess with the values of the dark spotties in the mountains where they fade here and there and that can be accomplished the same way, only you would rather than doing it like a high contrast toggle, on and off, you could sweeten it with variations in values, and color too if you can see the sense of it.

But this works as a sort of mosaic or design technique where the large shapes are the thing. The trees are cool and the overall effect is as well. Were you to explore this sense out further you could do some really cool images. The direction's not a bad one as it is. But you could use this technique with some more subtlety and discretion and make it work realistically as well.

All a matter of what you want to do and what vision you're seeking to bring to form.

Very good job.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Excellent work!

An impressive powerful imposing painting.

I'm sorry for being slow to reply to your lovely comments - blame it on another computer breakdown.! This time it was beyond my capabilities and I had to call in a 'geek'. However all is well and I avoided buying a new computer. Thanks to backups it didn't take long to get up and running.

Caesar - yes, sorry about the pyramids - I undid so many times - need more practice with the knife!

DA - I agree, the mountains could do with more texture or changes in value to give more interest to the shady side especially. My excuse is that I was following blindly the tutorial seeing if I could replicate Painter tools in AR. Will bear your comments in mind with the next mountain scene.

DarkOwnt and RedSaucers - thanks for looking and commenting - I really do appreciate it.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I'm sorry for being slow to reply to your lovely comments - blame it on another computer breakdown.! This time it was beyond my capabilities and I had to call in a 'geek'. However all is well and I avoided buying a new computer. Thanks to backups it didn't take long to get up and running.
    Maybe you should ask Caesar if there are any unclaimed laptops in Rome he could bring you. The Romans had the services of the Geeks for a long while. Helped build Rome, even though they were mostly slaves who helped tutor them. The best thing since the Trojan Horse. Caesar is your ally. . . oh? you said 'geek'. . . I thought you said 'Greek'. . . never mind. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very pretty!

I wish I had gotten to Alaska. The views are so amazing in these northern climes.

hi June Have you got Windows 10 yet as I'm waiting to see if get a little colour Wheel Yeah I did Look at your Aron Rutten but it was all Geek to me ok

CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE HOO ROO JUNE

Nope, Mr.Ploos - I haven't received my Win 10 yet. I could probably download it myself instead of waiting my turn.

I have spent the afternoon reinstalling Win 8 (again!) - just got the darn thing back from the geeks (should have gone to the Greeks) and reinstalled everything on Friday, when it crashed again this morning. Thankfully, I was able to get it going again but had to install some programmes again.

See how long it last this time - I might throw it away and buy a new one with 10 already installed. I hope it doesn't come to that.

HOO ROO! ... Stin iy su! (Greek)
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.