ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Distant Echos

Distant Echos

Listening to the echoes off the canyon walls, and not to confuse dear eighty+, just enjoy this ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Distant Echos.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	504.2 KB 
ID:	88020  

I like very much this bridge over a railway tunnel. This scenario unconsciously recalls nice and funny memories to me: those of Wile Coyote and Road Runner!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

What comes to mind for me it is an individual man's experiences being absorbed into the Jungian archetype that possesses a man during his life. And his life experiences are being absorbed up into the stockpile of experience in that energetic.

This painting may seem like a jumble, but this is very articulate to me.

It's curious how Rorschach Tests and abstract or paintings or symbols can draw, among other things, associations based on one's recent experiences. It's almost like a symbol that sums it up something larger in scope. While some people see straight pictures as telling stories that are accessible and pretty clear cut, I'm finding that abstracts can be just as articulate and descriptive, if the viewer has built a lexicon to go with them. The interesting thing is that, as in life, such summaries are fully malleable and open to re-framing.

When I first looked at this painting it seemed pretty scrambled. But as I started to write, a parallel came clear to me where it was suddenly superimposed over a recent get together I attended.

On Halloween, I just had dinner with family and again who was there was a very old gentleman who is suffering from the early to mid-range phase of dementia where he dips into and out of being sharp. From earlier conversations I knew he was an amazing creator in the world, and while he could come across as larger than life, his stories can be verified. He had been a very powerful man, a WWII hero who from the beginning of the war to the end piloted landing vehicles on beaches in the Pacific, wave after wave sometimes two to four times a day under heavy fire, wherever he was sent. Later he became a pilot, a super successful geologist and oil man and businessman who first made a fortune on oil, built a successful company and suddenly lost that fortune back in the 80s when the banks were collapsing in Texas and all loans were suddenly being called in by the Feds who had stepped in. But he made back another fortune after that. And for all that success he's a very sweet gentleman with a sharp wit, even through the dementia. And as I sat on the sofa next to him this time, it was as if bits of his life passed by like flotsam. This painting suggests to me his slow descent, his experiences of this event filled life unraveling, being emptied out of him. His family will fly in to collect him and will be putting him in a home in days.

And your painting put all that, the process of deconstructing a life spent in large part drilling oil, putting it back into energy resource like he himself pulled from the earth.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    What comes to mind for me it is an individual man's experiences being absorbed into the Jungian archetype that possesses a man during his life. And his life experiences are being absorbed up into the stockpile of experience in that energetic.

This painting may seem like a jumble, but this is very articulate to me.

It's curious how Rorschach Tests and abstract or paintings or symbols can draw, among other things, associations based on one's recent experiences. It's almost like a symbol that sums it up something larger in scope. While some people see straight pictures as telling stories that are accessible and pretty clear cut, I'm finding that abstracts can be just as articulate and descriptive, if the viewer has built a lexicon to go with them. The interesting thing is that, as in life, such summaries are fully malleable and open to re-framing.

When I first looked at this painting it seemed pretty scrambled. But as I started to write, a parallel came clear to me where it was suddenly superimposed over a recent get together I attended.

On Halloween, I just had dinner with family and again who was there was a very old gentleman who is suffering from the early to mid-range phase of dementia where he dips into and out of being sharp. From earlier conversations I knew he was an amazing creator in the world, and while he could come across as larger than life, his stories can be verified. He had been a very powerful man, a WWII hero who from the beginning of the war to the end piloted landing vehicles on beaches in the Pacific, wave after wave sometimes two to four times a day under heavy fire, wherever he was sent. Later he became a pilot, a super successful geologist and oil man and businessman who first made a fortune on oil, built a successful company and suddenly lost that fortune back in the 80s when the banks were collapsing in Texas and all loans were suddenly being called in by the Feds who had stepped in. But he made back another fortune after that. And for all that success he's a very sweet gentleman with a sharp wit, even through the dementia. And as I sat on the sofa next to him this time, it was as if bits of his life passed by like flotsam. This painting suggests to me his slow descent, his experiences of this event filled life unraveling, being emptied out of him. His family will fly in to collect him and will be putting him in a home in days.

And your painting put all that, the process of deconstructing a life spent in large part drilling oil, putting it back into energy resource like he himself pulled from the earth.
    D Akey thanks for your elaboration and second sight on this work. That is one of the most powerful expressions art can do it move into the realm of myth. Myths have the power to embody many levels of meaning and nuance to a "story" . And for me abstract painting has had that power and it seems to me my natural method of finding expression, even though I painted very traditional landscapes for decades prior. The transition from that style into abstracts was not easy and was full of failure but it was the only way of painting that had any heart for me. I think your experience with the older gentleman and having it overlay into this painting is a great example of the power of art... This work was about the dissolution of form and the release of energies. I created my own brush in Photoshop and then used it in AR so there was a bit on an experiment going on as well. Thanks as always for your comments and support..

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I like very much this bridge over a railway tunnel. This scenario unconsciously recalls nice and funny memories to me: those of Wile Coyote and Road Runner!
    A very interesting interpretation Caesar, I can see your association with those with the yellow desert colors and blacks for railroad ties... not what I was aiming at but still a wonderful view especially if it recalls some funny memories...

Hi Gary all I can say is I like It OK IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE