Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Ask the Ambient Design Team Stuff!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja-usagi View Post
    I've been using Artrage 4.5 64bit on a 4gig i5 Surface Pro 4. It works great btw. I have one main gripe though, and seeing as this is an "ask anything thread"... is it possible to draw without Artrage picking up a one fingered touch? It driving me a bit nuts everytime I try to touch zoom or pan the canvas and Artrage thinks I want to finger paint. I know that the software was never especially designed with tablets in mind, at least not as much as Artrage mobile version. But I use a couple of other Art programs and they were created before Surface Pro 4 was launced and they work great with pen and touch, one touch is ignored but two touch pans and zooms.

    Anyway, that's my rant over 😁. I am just assuming that its not possible in AR4 at the moment as I've come across this problem in the tech questions forum but no one seems to have answered this question. If its something to be considered in a future update, then great, I'll just try not to use one finger for the meantime. (Except for when someone annoys me).

    (-_-)
    It's something we get asked for a lot, as you might imagine. The short answer is basically that it's probably going to happen in the future, but isn't really possible for us to add right now. You can turn multitouch off entirely in Edit > ArtRage Preferences if it's too annoying (and then use the Canvas Poisitioner to move the canvas around - click the doubleheaded arrow in the top menu bar).

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Varadinum -Transylvania
    Posts
    324
    I needed to go back to the first sentences to remember the question. You people are very confusing :-) .... Couple of things that I noticed related to ArtRage the software, ArtRage the development and ArtRage the users: makes the later ones mostly and very happy... We definitly live in a digital era, so digital art is a normal outcome and here come the new generation: try put a child to choose between a blank paper with pencils next to it and a blank screen with ArtRage app running on it... now you can imagine the fight we had over the digitizer. Here comes the question, maybe related to your world domination plans: Are there chances to start world-wide digital art classes for the happy little people (please read children) in a more organised fashion... maybe a caravan or world-tour kinnda something... Related to development is there possibel to achieve in the rnearest future a tilt/flow control sorta thing for the watercolor section of the app? I would love to see my collors running up and down just because I say so.
    ... Oh!... and you are wonderful, you Ambient Design Team Stuff people
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.


    my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Concord, California
    Posts
    6,845
    Hanna, Cool idea. Here is a question:

    Artrage was originally developed as a painting program that mimics real media. Over the years it has had a robust evolution that allows artists to create just about anything they can think of, while using digital techniques that are far removed from anything one would ever traditionally think of as a mimic of "traditional media." I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I love Artrage and my art has evolved with the program. As it has evolved I no longer think through the lens of mimicking traditional media, but think of Artrage as it's own thing, a remarkable digital tool that draws on both old forms and new to create art. Do you see a change in how Ambient will position the program, both from a marketing perspective, as well as a development perspective, when making choices about evolving and improving the tool to both serve the marketplace and the evolving sensibilities of young artists being born into the digital world?
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-28-2016 at 07:47 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3

    paintered

    Can a screen keyboard be accessed on the desktop version? Many have hybrid devices like Surface Pro and a screen keyboard would be very useful when the keyboard is not attached.
    Ed

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    24,170
    Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Hanna, Cool idea. Here is a question:

    Artrage was originally developed as a painting program that mimics real media. Over the years it has had a robust evolution that allows artists to create just about anything they can think of, while using digital techniques that are far removed from anything one would ever traditionally think of as a mimic of "traditional media." I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I love Artrage and my art has evolved with the program. As it has evolved I no longer think through the lens of mimicking traditional media, but think of Artrage as it's own thing, a remarkable digital tool that draws on both old forms and new to create art. Do you see a change in how Ambient will position the program, both from a marketing perspective, as well as a development perspective, when making choices about evolving and improving the tool to both serve the marketplace and the evolving sensibilities of young artists being born into the digital world?
    Dear Byron and Hannah, to mimic real media as close as possible is still, in my view a unique marketing strength for quite a number of customers and also for experiments in view of real media outcome, since there's still a common opinion that single real media paintings have a far higher artistic and economical value.
    Nonetheless all improvement towards a more complete artistic, graphical and, to some extent, picture management software were and still are a perfect move too, in order to have a distinctive strength on the former feature (real painting mimic) and have not a weak position on the rest of visual creativity features, all by keeping it simple and easy to exploit (a most important success critical factor I believe).
    Along this line it would be fantastic to further improvement of watercolor simulation in order to get some effects such as the ones with inclining sheet and have water flow in any direction or to get some tipical watercolor texture, including the so called cauliflower effect (a mistake which is often useful for some use, such as vegetables). A better watercolor simulation may be obtained today too, but it would require too complex processes.
    Finally, I think that a simple and honest animation feature may be next frontier for Artrage and, later on, some sort of 3D feature, always simple and effective, may be nice, even just as a tool to study light effects on objects and on a scene we would then paint more in detail and painterly.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Along this line it would be fantastic to further improvement of watercolor simulation in order to get some effects such as the ones with inclining sheet and have water flow in any direction or to get some tipical watercolor texture, including the so called cauliflower effect (a mistake which is often useful for some use, such as vegetables). A better watercolor simulation may be obtained today too, but it would require too complex processes.
    Finally, I think that a simple and honest animation feature may be next frontier for Artrage and, later on, some sort of 3D feature, always simple and effective, may be nice, even just as a tool to study light effects on objects and on a scene we would then paint more in detail and painterly.
    We're always looking at how we might be able to improve the current paint tools, especially the watercolor - but it's definitely complicated, and a lot of the stuff that *sounds* like it might improve it actually doesn't translate well to digital (or is a bit gimmicky).

    We've been asked about animation a lot! It and 3D are... pretty far outside ArtRage's scope, so we're unlikely to do anything specific for it, but we'll certainly be bearing user feedback in mind in case we consider a feature that could be useful for those things.


    Quote Originally Posted by Paintered View Post
    Can a screen keyboard be accessed on the desktop version? Many have hybrid devices like Surface Pro and a screen keyboard would be very useful when the keyboard is not attached.
    Ed
    Depends on the device, rather than ArtRage. if you can use a screen keyboard with your OS, then ArtRage will recognise the input as from a keyboard.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    24,170
    Thank You, dear Hannah! I'm sure You'll do whatever may be practical and feasible in reasonably simple ways, if a possibility arises.
    Whatever You'll sort out would be a success and appreciated, but even today Artrage is unique and great for many applications and for professional use as well, I think.

    As for animation, I guess the simplest form might be to consider a background layer which could be scrolled up to a certain extent, a sort of distance size reduction rule (from close range to far range), and a group of layers with the moving objects key positions among whom some sort of interpolation rule may be used. Far easier to say than to code I presume.
    As for a sort of cheap 3D object (just to see it with different perspectives), I saw in the past a simple feature with Drawplus. I don't know how it worked though. Probably a projection of contours on three planes may be used to calculate views in the space from different viewpoints (with a fix distance from the observer on not). All the rest would be certainly far more engaging apart, perhaps, a skin texture wrapping on the 3D object, although we all know we cannot develop a 3D object on a plane without cutting the skin or viceversa wrap with a planar motive a 3D object without overlaps, which makes it all difficult enough, even for a skilled taylor ... LOL
    They're just a couple of ideas, probably silly ones for experts like You, not even a request though.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Huntsville, On., Canada
    Posts
    5,359
    I think ArtRage is terrific as is and would hate to see it be developed into a program that goes more and more into manipulation , animation or that kind of thing. Work on what you have to improve the watercolour or oils, pastels, etc.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    210
    But one of the points behind the software is to resemble as close as possible real life media but still remain easy to use. You can not improve water color for example of it lacks closely resembling the real thing. That only goes so far currently as it is. It's not opinion, it's facts based on what real media does and what digital media is trying to achieve. I can see Art Rage getting there but in the meantime i am going to have to explore other software that brings me closer to the real thing. Until Art Rage gets to a improved point then i will consider going back. I'd hate to sound harsh or so direct but i like to deal with facts, reason and reality and not how good something feels. When i can do what Bob Ross does digitally then i think i will be at that point.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •