ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Glass Apple

Glass Apple

I've been a bit slow on the painting front lately - missing Jasper and having fun getting to know the new kitties.

Name:  glass apple.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  58.6 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

Very good to see you back after your time of recovery from your loss. I'm sure the new kittens will help immeasurably. I also think that on some level they get that something's up and will nurture you along in their own way. I get it. Has not been so very long I went through a similar thing.

So the painting is nice. I have found that to make glass shiny, it's important to emphasize the contrast. In various strategic places, go very dark and the highlights very light often in adjacent rivulets. Extending the spectrum high and low pushes the opposite all the more, and it gives it a harder, slick and glassy surface look.

So this one could go that way. You're nearly there. I mean it's fine if you say it's fine. But if you wanted to explore that principle, this one is 90% there already. It's a matter of where those values would go. Often it's along the perimeter and at the bottom, except for the highlight showing the body volume which is where you have it.

Color-wise, this one is designed to be in a fairly narrow bandwidth of greens for clarity of a product logo. But if you wanted to really shine the apple in a different context, you could even mess with introducing accent colors in those reflections. That also jazzes up the feel, making it more like in product shots of faceted diamonds and the like.

Anyway, this is very cool. Glad to see your stuff again.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

As usual great advice DA - I increased the intensity of the highlights and sharpened the image a little - looks better now I think.

Re kitties - we built a kitty proof enclosure with access to the house which was working well for all except Rocky who had been used to his freedom. Searching the web produced a kitty door which by way of recognising the pet's microchip will allow entrance and exit for the designated cat (in our case Rocky) while denying this privilege to any animal whose microchip is not recognised (kitties). Who knew?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Looks great June. But would like a glass leaf. As well CIAO. HOO ROO. SLAINTE

Some kind of jelly-candy? Curious and intriguing.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

That's soooo high tech! Well, better than a retina scan, sez I, to let the little blighters into the vault to get their kibble.

Are you going to put a little micro chip under your cats' skin so you can track 'em? I know I would be really curious where my cats go when out and about. Don't want 'em to be kidnapped. They had suggested parents do this with their kids over here about 10 or so years ago, playing on people's paranoia after 911. Everybody saw Big Brother in that one. I haven't heard anything in years about it so I'm not sure if this is still being proposed or if they dropped it.

You're so high tech, Enug! Couldn't you simply train your cats to use a key like the barnyard animals?

Anyway, yes, the apple shines much more like glass now. Over time, you will refine the way to indicate such things allowing for you to invent and do things out of your head convincingly as well. Sky's the limit when you learn how to fool the eye as it were.

Good follow through!!!!!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Our cats are already micro chipped - being rescue cats that is part of the deal when re-homing them - along with desexing. However it is a growing trend to have cats dogs micro chipped so they can be identified and returned when they go missing.

There was a UK programme on TV here just recently - http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-22567526 which tracked the comings and goings of a group of neighbourhood cats.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Hi June I haven't Found my photos yet sorry yah the Wheel is still We've Me I read A S/fi story about Cats That they had Us made into Their Slaves

Then one Day Some Bloke found he could understand what they were saying and when they relized it they knew they had to give him the chop so as he

was going to a conference at the UNO to tell them he took a Plane to get there so the Cats as he was about to go down the steps They tripped him so fell down the

steps and broke His Neck so the Cats live to be look after by their Slaves for ever

Sounds right to me - I have always been a (willing) slave to my cats.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Ho. Ho. HO. June. Sleep. Well. As they will want. Some milk and some Fish.