ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I did a bit of fan art... :-)

I did a bit of fan art... :-)

My friend and animation director Rob Shaw, introduced me to this animated film yesterday. I had never encountered it before and I really love it. Directed by Fred Wolf and written by Harry Nilsson back in 1971, it follows the story of a round headed child born into a society of people with pointed heads. The rules of the society get him chucked out and young Oblio and his dog arrow must undertake a journey of discovery and illumination.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067595/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

I created this image from observing screen grabs of the film. It depicts the meeting of Oblio and Arrow with a Rock Man. Completed in ArtRage 64-bit 4.5.9 using the pencil and watercolor tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rock-Man_With_Oblio_&_Arrow_07.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	87923
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

I vaguely remind of this cartoon. A quite lovely and meaningful one, two features we rarely find today as positive features in children and kids frantic animations.
    I love how You succeeded to render and enrich its illustration style!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Good Lord! Hahah. I haven't seen the whole movie, but I certainly heard about it on TV when I was growing up, especially because of Neilson's song being a big hit "Me and My Arrow". Back in those days there was no Video or DVD or streaming where you could rent it. So if you missed the window, it was gone. And I missed my window.

And Murakami Wolf were real ground breakers when I was in school. There would sometimes be spots on the younger TV Variety shows like Smothers Brothers, where they would give things like that a couple minutes and point out the idea that computers were just starting to revolutionize the animation industry. I watched it as a kid knowing nothing at all and saw it only as a curiosity. But keeping their hands in the animation biz, Murakami Wolf ultimately made a killing on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise -- something far more common to American TV animation in style. But that movie was emblematic of that time period in animation for sure. I should probably find it and watch it.

I certainly remember those styles and they were marvelously whimsical. You did a great job on it and could probably pull that look out as needed for your own stuff.

Well done, and thanks for the flashback.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I love the Point!!! Great Picture

I like this kind of fan art Sounds like an interesting animation

Thanks very much each of you for looking in and commenting. I had fun with this and I must say it got me thinking about the requests I've seen for animation capabilities in ArtRage. While I have a different set of fish to fry regarding hopes for future versions of ArtRage, I do see that animation tools would be something I could find myself exploring with great enjoyment.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Well, if you dabble in animation, and produce something, please let us know! I would certainly want to see it. No matter how small it was, I'm sure it would look impressive.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Certainly Fashmir would be an impressive artist also as a cartoon movie director, but I'm also excited to find out how fun it would be for myself as well a user-friendly animation feature. Actually I'm almost scared the thought of what I would set up if I ever get dabbled into animation by forthcoming Artrage updates, especially what would possibly eventually end up into the After 9 section .... LOL
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I think these cartoon characters look great. Hope you do more. Best wishes Jox