ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Fading Sounds version 1 and 2 and 3

Fading Sounds version 1 and 2 and 3

been distracted from doing much painting as of late, but found some time this morning and loosened up with this work, hope you find it enjoyable. Looks like a mix of water media with pencil... I had a mental flash to create a new tan layer and adjust the blending mode to make this more monochromatic with only a couple of areas of color... let me know which one appeals to you..

UPDATE: For version two of this work I took the image into Photoshop, added the layer of tan color and changed its blending mode to "COLOR" and then added a layer mask to remove area where I wanted the color to show through. Upon some reflection I realized that I could accomplish the same thing in ArtRage by: adding a new layer above the imported colored image file, then changing the blending mode to Color. Then I used the eraser tool and played with the eraser tool softness and pressure to erase out some of the tan layer and got the same effect!... I have used the eraser tool a lot to shape colors and remove color partially to create a richer texture but it has finally dawned on me that by using a layer color and erasing and setting the blending mode you can mimic layer masking in Photoshop at least in some way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fading Sounds.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	505.1 KB 
ID:	87821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fading Sounds-ver2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	505.2 KB 
ID:	87827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fading sounds harmonized.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	87835  
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 10-14-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Hi Gary it looks as if I'm enjoying an icecream yes I have been singing bring me a Cornetto

Hi Gary, this is lovely I especially like you're choice of colours . Best wishes Jo.

They are both great.. but I think I like the one with colors better

I like them both immensely. The only difference is that the second one, being harmonised by the layer (I guess) looks somehow more coherent and focused. The choice cannot but be subjective and depending on mood or psychology, I think. Personally I slightly prefer the second one, but it doesn't mean at all it's the best one.
    As an experiment on this base, it came to may mind, that You may try also to use a central gradient as tan layer and/ or, alternatively, two/ three concentric and separate circular rings as differently colored/ opaque tan layers and see what happens (maybe with the centres placed in one of the points suggested by the golden rule, or, more roughly, the one third/ two thirds rule).
    Last edited by Caesar; 10-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Super aggressive! Almost like a Halloween Expressionism -- an All Souls Sugar Rush. . . where spooks wander the earth collecting candy bits. . . where later, like trolls, hole up in their caves, they hunker down by the flickering light of a blackening Jack-o-Lantern to burn off their metabolic imbalances in paint upon spent Halloween shopping bags. At least that's what I'm going to be doing. . . Don't know about anybody else, since we don't get kids here for years now. So I'll be hopped up on sugar and chocolate. . . and howling at the moon. . .

I don't know if it came across, but I really like these. I like the non-computer precision feel, while still using a lot of your design sensibilities. It's powerful like process painting.

Last edited by D Akey; 10-13-2015 at 09:13 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Hi Gary it looks as if I'm enjoying an icecream yes I have been singing bring me a Cornetto
    Hi eighty+ hope you enjoyed your ice cream and did no get any more drips on you!... pleased you stopped by.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSEPHINE.EARP View Post
    Hi Gary, this is lovely I especially like you're choice of colours . Best wishes Jo.
    thanks Jo I love your works and have not commented but have taken a look.

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    They are both great.. but I think I like the one with colors better
    Thanks David, I had a sudden insight on something to do which resulted in the second version... I don't know if you do but after I finish a painting some times ideas come about what I want to try next or change in a finished work.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I like them both immensely. The only difference is that the second one, being harmonised by the layer (I guess) looks somehow more coherent and focused. The choice cannot but be subjective and depending on mood or psychology, I think. Personally I slightly prefer the second one, but it doesn't mean at all it's the best one.
    As an experiment on this base, it came to may mind, that You may try also to use a central gradient as tan layer and/ or, alternatively, two/ three concentric and separate circular rings as differently colored/ opaque tan layers and see what happens (maybe with the centres placed in one of the points suggested by the golden rule, or, more roughly, the one third/ two thirds rule).
    Ah many good ideas here , thank dear Caesar!. from the title I liked the harmonizing effect of a blended layer over the original as it allows the impression of fading colors/sounds to be more easily grasp. I think I might have to go back over some previous works and play with that process.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Super aggressive! Almost like a Halloween Expressionism -- an All Souls Sugar Rush. . . where spooks wander the earth collecting candy bits. . . where later, like trolls, hole up in their caves, they hunker down by the flickering light of a blackening Jack-o-Lantern to burn off their metabolic imbalances in paint upon spent Halloween shopping bags. At least that's what I'm going to be doing. . . Don't know about anybody else, since we don't get kids here for years now. So I'll be hopped up on sugar and chocolate. . . and howling at the moon. . .

I don't know if it came across, but I really like these. I like the non-computer precision feel, while still using a lot of your design sensibilities. It's powerful like process painting.

D Akey you certainly put a big smile on my face with your comment!... I will probably get a few bags of my favorite candies just in case someone stops by although no one has for the past couple of years ( my neighbors are all retired like myself with no children about. Glad you like this work. I like the effect of working with the digital pencil to sketch and draw out the composition and then begin layering in colors, this one really has that natural media look to it which I also like.

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    D Akey you certainly put a big smile on my face with your comment!... I will probably get a few bags of my favorite candies just in case someone stops by although no one has for the past couple of years ( my neighbors are all retired like myself with no children about. Glad you like this work. I like the effect of working with the digital pencil to sketch and draw out the composition and then begin layering in colors, this one really has that natural media look to it which I also like.
    So Your neighborhood and You would better hire some dozens kids to wander around that night and resume Your juvenile tradition then .... LOL
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    So Your neighborhood and You would better hire some dozens kids to wander around that night and resume Your juvenile tradition then .... LOL
    Not necessary I can revert to juvenile behavior easily at the drop of a hat... no problem...