ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Two Escential Feature Requests

Cool Two Escential Feature Requests

We need a button to flip the reference images horizontally so we don't have to do that in photoshop before using them in artrage.
    We also need a button or hotkey to temporarily view the image in grayscale so we can check our value structure easily.

You might need to see a monochrome button, but I doubt that WE do. The whole concept of AR is to paint...with....color. It wasn't meant to do image editing.I've never seen anyone ask for such request (although it sounded morel like a demand).
    Also I might be misunderstanding about your other demand but the reference image can be rotated.
    Also, I'd be very interested in seeing a list of the WEs.
    Last edited by Gms9810; 10-12-2015 at 08:55 AM.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

I can only speak as one person. I cannot speak for a community filled with hobbyists, semi-pros, pros, amateurs, and absolute beginners. The diversity of our forum is amazing to me. It transcends cultures, creeds and geographical barriers and does so very elegantly by our mutual focus on art and the beauty of shared creation. I can imagine the points of view of many people within the forum member demographics but not nearly enough to make me a voice for all.

I will say that I would be thankful for the addition of both of those ideas suggested. I have a pretty good list going myself and I am certain that many of our fellow brothers and sisters in art would absolutely not understand the usefulness of this or that idea. Any idea like the ones here called for by ArtistGuy, that don't make sense should perhaps be regarded as an opportunity to absorb an idea by examining the thinking behind the request. I don't mean to suggest that everything that comes along will be an agreeable addition to a person's workflow. Each person has their ways, however we can see the movement of ideas swell and crest as groups adopt sets of tools combined with task requirements that become shared workflows creating a pipeline for creative production- necessary for those of us on the pro end of the spectrum. Anything that provides me with a convenient means of gaining a better understanding of my artwork (the gray scale suggestion) or simplifies repeated tasks or in any other way better connects me with my objective is going to get approval from me.

I also recognize that we, the users of ArtRage, can talk all we like about the things we want, but in the end it is the Rage team who must face all the challenges and hard questions that come with altering a well established piece of software. It is they who must take an idea and implement it with the elegance and simple grace we have come to love.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement either of these two suggestions but I don't think it is unreasonable in the least to make the request. I would caution against making assumptions about a persons attitude when all you have to go on is a written forum post...that said, artists for centuries I believe, have been using grey scale underpainting techniques before they ever lay down any color on the canvas to get the values the way they want them. I have never used this technique in small part because it is generally done with oils I believe, which I don't use, and in larger part because I don't know how to use it effectively. That doesn't diminish it's use by others who do. I will say that I'm pretty sure both of these requested features are already possible in ArtRage with little effort. I believe Markw has posted a pretty simple technique recently for establishing a top layer in the stack that can be turned on and off easily to view a grey scale view of a work in progress. It's not a single click button but it seemed pretty effective to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistguy View Post
    We need a button to flip the reference images horizontally so we don't have to do that in photoshop before using them in artrage.
    We also need a button or hotkey to temporarily view the image in grayscale so we can check our value structure easily.
    Being able to flip the reference is something I've asked for in the past, as well. Though, I don't see why photoshop needs to be used to do the flipping. ArtRage is just as capable of flipping the images, as well. Just select the layer with the Transform tool and hit the "H" key on your keyboard.

As for the gray scale option, a workaround that I like using is adding a layer to the top of the layer stack that is filled in with pure white, and has it's Blend Mode set to Saturation. When it's visible, it will desaturate the color from the rest of the layer stack, making the image black and white. Hiding the layer will then bring the color back. You can even set up a shortcut key for showing/hiding a selected layer, so then you can just hit the key to see the action, without needing lose eye contact with the image.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane..

While those suggestions affect the image you are drawing.. I think he was asking for the reference image to be able to have those characteristics.. So that he can check grayscale against the painting.. and so that when he flips the canvas.. he can also flip the reference in order to check proportions (at least that's how I read it)

One quick solution is to load 2 reference images.. one correct and one flipped. You could also add a 3rd thats in Greyscale. Just hide or unhide them as needed.. it's not perfect.. but it IS a workaround.

BTW.. I have a question about flipping. I can hold the "H" key and the image will flip.. but if I release the "H" Key it reverses again. Is there a way that it stays reversed while I draw? It's pretty inconvenient to hold it there.

There is a workaround by putting all the layers in a group and then transforming the group.. or transforming all layers.... but thats not quite as simple as just hitting an key.
    Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 10-13-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    While those suggestions affect the image you are drawing.. I think he was asking for the reference image to be able to have those characteristics.. So that he can check grayscale against the painting.. and so that when he flips the canvas.. he can also flip the reference in order to check proportions (at least that's how I read it)
    Yes, but my mentioning of ArtRage being able to flip the images were in response to his mentioning that he was using photoshop to do that process before bringing the image in flipped, as a work around. I was only noting that the flip could be handled in ArtRage, as well. I just left off the rest of the process, as it would've been redundant to tell him something he was already accustomed to doing. I did think he was talking about the canvas, in terms of the grayscale, though. I've never made my references grayscale (in traditional or digital art), so I guess I just assumed he was referring to a common method of checking the progress of the contrast in the painting in progress. In any event, I'd have suggested the same solution of making a second reference image that was in grayscale, if it were needed.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    BTW.. I have a question about flipping. I can hold the "H" key and the image will flip.. but if I release the "H" Key it reverses again. Is there a way that it stays reversed while I draw? It's pretty inconvenient to hold it there.

There is a workaround by putting all the layers in a group and then transforming the group.. or transforming all layers.... but thats not quite as simple as just hitting an key.
    Just pressing the H (or V) key just flips the view quickly, it's not a permanent transformation - that's why it's so quick! You do have to use the Transform options to actually flip the painting for working on.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!