Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My third still life

My third still life

This is my third still life, and my first entirely in ArtRage 4.

Still need to add detail to the ceramic pots and the wood table. Also need to add real and specular reflections to the ceramic. Likely will do an overall color adjustment at some point, as well as some thick impasto brushwork for impact.

Not painted from memory or imagination - painted from a random reference image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstStillCloseUp.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	87780
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 10-14-2015 at 02:47 AM.

I thought it was your photo ref when I first looked. Should be spectacular when finished.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Very Well Done! This is spectacular already! Great work

This is very, very nice. Not sure I would add too much to the table. Right now that apple is riveting. But I can't wait to see how you finish it off.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

This is primarily just an exercise in painting what I see. I would not call this "art" (closer to empty "reproduction" - although I have tried a little bit to make it more like art than a photo) and I am a little embarrassed to post it here but your feedback is very useful and once I know how to paint I can paint things with more purpose/meaning/selection/composition/interpretation etc.

Here is the lowdown on changes:

Added reflections on the white jar, punched up the diffuse lighting on it from the apple and olive jar. Messed a bit with the table surface, partial reflection emphasis and some detailing. Removed some distracting brush stroking. Tried to round out the apple. Added detailing to olive jar. Tweaked composition/angle slightly.

Still need to round out olive jar which appears flat, and increase detailing but not so much as to make it distracting. Need to make table a wee bit more chaotic and detailed without making it distracting. Still need to add some painterly/impasto strokes for impact.

Name:	ExportedApple2 cropped.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	87830

Cheers!

A magnificent outcome! It would deserve to be exhibited in both the main gallery section and the Ambient Spotlight one!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    A magnificent outcome! It would deserve to be exhibited in both the main gallery section and the Ambient Spotlight one!
    Thank you for the kind words Caesar. They definitely are a help for my confidence.

Well. I want to say that I am finished but I am not perfectly happy yet. I'm having trouble with the olive jar... I've improvised a little rather than rely on the reference and I am not so happy. Perhaps all it needs are reflections, or just a little smoothing.

Decided I will leave the table alone. Finished the white jar and the apple. This might be done... or it might not be.

Name:	ExportedApple3 cropped v2 8_5x11.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	87844

You have done a really beautiful job with this. The apple, table and white jar are very nice. I really think you handled the reflected light very well. While I understand your desire to do something more with the surface of the olive jar, to me it is the only part of the painting that looks digital or artificial and somehow doesn't seem to go with the other elements. I know this is just a study for you but I think if you stepped away from it for a bit you would find a solution you would be happy with and take what started as "just an exercise" and make it a very fine painting. I understand your comment about not feeling this is "art" but I respectfully disagree. Well done.

Thank you jmac!

Very good observations, especially the one about stepping away for a bit and then finding a solution.

I think one problem with the olive jar is that the brushstrokes in the detailing are completely out of step with the kinds of brush strokes and their widths elsewhere. I will likely redo the detailing of the olive jar entirely. Had a glitch while saving to my network drive so I am forced to use an earlier version anyway. It's a learning process.