ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Uh Oh

Uh Oh

So I tried to make a frame.. vis a vi Bobbi's gradient lessons. I used the gradient tool.. then chose everything inside a square to delete thus making the frame.

PROBLEM: When I cut everything inside the selection I was left with some "debris" (Ghost Image) which showed up on the picture I was framing. I think I accidentally used the magic wand tool instead of the square select. When I did it with the square select it worked fine.

LESSON : Make sure you use the correct tool.. or you might be asking for trouble!

QUESTION: The Ghost Image wouldn't even erase with the eraser tool.. anybody know why? I tried the hard and the instant erase

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	87762
    Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 10-07-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Btw..

Here is the finished frame.. with the picture after a LOT of adjustments.. This is my G'Son.. Playing Bear.. LOL!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aiden Bear.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	87763

I haven't seen the tutorial yet, so I'm not sure of the steps involved. However, from what I see of your images here, I'm guessing it involves using thick paint to create the raised/beveled edges of the frame. I wonder if the ghost image you're seeing, is actually being caused by a layer beneath the layer you actually have selected, since the thick paint would cause an impasto effect that would show through the rest of the layers above it? If that is the case, I would suggest you set the top most layer to use a Bump Blend Mode set to "Replace", so that layers paint will flatten that of the layer beneath it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

SOS...

All I did was as follows.. all one layer BTW

1) Gradient tool set to diamond.
    2) Transform the gradient layer to turn it to a square
    3) Make a rectangular selection inside what I want the frame to be
    4) Hit cut (Or Cntrl - C)

As it was all on one layer.. It SHOULD have all been cut.. but it wasn't as you could see in the first image. Even after everything was deselected it wouldn't erase.. that's what threw me.