ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artrage in Mac os X El Capitan

Artrage in Mac os X El Capitan

I've just installed the lateste version of Mac os X (El Capitan), and here's my problem: Artrage is 10 times more slow than before! When I draw any stroke with pencil, the stroke is not responsive anymore… I've noticed other slow things on other softwares and even on the finder, but I use Artrage every day, and now it's just unusable… Has anyone else seen that problem?

[Up] By the way, sorry for my very first post here, I didn't make any presentation of me. I'm a french designer, working for teachers resources (illustrations, animations, graphic design…), and I felt in love with Artrage!
    Last edited by davidgribouille; 10-02-2015 at 03:22 AM.

I have read that wacom drivers is not compatible with X11

Mic

Well there was a problem in june 2015 (with el capitan beta version), but Wacom updated the driver, and now I have the latest driver, which actually works with other applications (photoshop, flash, illustrator…). Actually in photoshop I've just noticed that my strokes with the basic brush are quite trembling…
    Thanks anyway…

I installed a wacom driver on El Cap. today and it did not work. All drivers on Wacom homepage is only up to OSX 10.10.

Where did you get your driver?

Mic

The same has been happening to me since updating this morning, effectively rendering ArtRage unusable due to the unbearable slowness.
    Bamboo Tablet is the driver I use.

Note: when I loaded up the computer after the update I got a notice that the Wacom settings in system preferences was incompatible with OS X EL Capitan, and actually ended up having to reinstall the driver; this, along with the tablet pen otherwise working well with ArtRage (pressure sensitivity and all), and ArtRage working just fine without a tablet as well (it doesn't crash, the cursor isn't slow at all with a trackpad), leads me to believe that the problem is likely more an outdated Wacom driver than ArtRage being incompatible with OS X EL Capitan.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any other tablet-compatible software to test this out on, so the data is inconclusive.

Solutions:
    You might have to wait for ArtRage and/or Wacom to update their software for version 10.11.
    You could also downgrade to OS X Yosemite: h ttp://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/delete-el-capitan-go-back-to-yosemite-3581872/
    Last edited by 0; 10-02-2015 at 07:16 AM.

I've been having the same problems of severe lag when using my intuos since updating to El Capitan and ArtRage 4.5.7 (I don't know which one caused the problem as I did not use ArtRage between updates). Updating to newest Wacom driver did not help. Everything works great in photoshop, but ArtRage is so slow that it's unusable.

ArtRage itself is compatible with 10.11, but it sounds like there may be a problem in how the current Wacom drivers are providing their information. We're looking in to it and talking to Wacom about it at the moment.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I don't think its the Wacom driver.

I don't think its the wacom driver, as I am having issues with the unusable lag in ArtRage with my Huion pen display as well. And its the only application that I seem to be having this issue with right now. Manga Studio, Photoshop CC 2015, Acorn, and even iDraw are not having any issues with lag on drawing. I hope a fix is fast coming as i love this program, but at this point its not possible to use it for anything.

I'm glad not to be the only one!
    MattRage-> Yeah Artrage seems to be compatible with El Capitan, and what is weird is that it's only when drawing that it's slow. When I choose a color (with my stylus) in the wheel, it's normally fast, when I chage the size of my brush, it's OK… When I draw with my mouse, it's quite faster than with the stylus, BUT I have the feeling that it's not as reactive as it was before (but I might be wrong). So is it really a Wacom problem ?… I doubt about it
    Thank you anyway for answering and searching for solutions

We've been running tests and discussing with Wacom and are currently waiting for a test driver from them.

Without getting in to too much deep technical detail, the mouse and stylus use exactly the same input code (and subsequent processing code) so the only difference between their processing happens outside ArtRage itself. We've walled off various parts of the paint simulation and input handling to see if we can locate any speed issues and it does appear that by the time our code is hit, the slowdown has already happened.The difference between mouse and stylus processing speed, going through that same code, suggests something going on at the driver level.

If a problem is happening with another input device it may be that there's something underlying in 10.11 that driver vendors are going to have to address - none of the changes to the OS appear relate to the processing model we're using for handling input coordinates. It's also possible that whatever change has affected the drivers is something we may be able to work around in the product, but right now there's no evidence in the code that anything we're doing is causing the issue, and there have been suggestions that this problem is not just affecting us (hence a test driver is already being worked on).

In addition - This problem also occurs on 10.10.5 with the latest driver from Wacom (sporadically, it didn't after initial installation of the latest driver, then started after a couple of reboots and a system update) so it's not just a 10.11 backbone thing.

Thanks for your patience on this. I'm monitoring email over the weekend to see if there's anything we can do about it inside ArtRage, or if in fact there is something we've done that caused a problem, and if there are changes we can make in code to solve the problem we'll certainly make them. I'll let you know as soon as I have any concrete information.

Update: I've found an obscure setting I can adjust in ArtRage window code that solves the lag problem, however that setting was implemented specifically to solve problems that appeared in earlier versions of OS X. It looks like 10.11 may have changed something that is causing the input driver issues when this particular setting is active. Because we've seen changes in behaviour on 10.10 based on driver version I'm still talking to Wacom about what they can do from the driver end but this does mean that there may also be a workaround we can apply.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.