ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New Layer Mode - semi-translucent paint - opacity based on paint thickness

New Layer Mode - semi-translucent paint - opacity based on paint thickness

Hello:

The idea is that the paint thickness data is already present in a layer why not provide the option of simulating semi-transparent paints by allowing the transparency of a layer to be controlled by the thickness of paint.

For example consider a stroke of semi-transparent paint which has high ridges and lower thin spots. The lower thin spots have less paint so more light would reveal the layers beneath and for the parts with high ridges the paint is thicker and thus would cover more of the layer beneath - assign opacity to the depth of the paint (in a user definable and flexible manner - perhaps a curve like the pressure setting in the WACOM tablet drivers) and some very interesting effects could be obtained by pushing the paint around on the layer into more or less thickness.

Something like is already at play to simulate thinning or no paint, why not do thick semi-transparent paint?

DO

Sounds kind of like Bump Blend Modes. I suppose that it would be easy enough to make a layer for thin and a layer for thick by adjusting the opacity for each layer.

EDIT: Added the original at the bottom

These should serve as an accurate preview as they were constructed in an external paint program from an original ArtRage painting and some actual paint depth information.

These utilized the bump map channel (exported by export layer channels) to modify the opacity of the paint. (I extracted the lighting information using some arithmetic functions and added the lighting back in after I applied a mask to the color - this was all done in Corel PaintShopPro... which is a good for tool for this kind of masking and arithmetic)

The three here represent different possible curves for paint thickness opacity and give three slightly different "translucent paint" looks. The original is at the bottom.

Let me know what you think!

Name:  Translucent1.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  Translucent2.JPG
Views: 98
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  Translucent3.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  57.3 KB

Original:

Name:  Original.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  50.9 KB
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 09-30-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Hello ArtRage team. Would this be something easy to implement?

I like that. Perhaps in addition to a 'Thinners' slider there should be a 'Mediums' slider. There's glazing or couching, but I think the closest real world parallel here could be an impasto medium which, when added in quantity might produce effects like thinning the hue while retaining the brush marks.

I like this direction. Very interesting possibilities for glazing. What I really mean is YES PLEASE!!!
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM