ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip needed on blenders

Tip needed on blenders

Hi there

Do you have a good tip for blenders like small frost not eating the edges

That is to keep the blenders only work inside the graphics.

Thanks
    Mic

Name:  Eating edges.png
Views: 93
Size:  117.8 KB

I do a LOT of blending.. and the obvious workaround is to select layer contents (under edit) and then it won't smudge outside the selection. The other option (which isn't as controlled) is to use a smaller brush around the edges.. and not go all the way to the edge.. and then use a larger brush setting in the center. I usually opt for the first as it's superior results and easier

Hi David

In my experience the blender break out of the layer selection

Thanks
    Mic

Try locking transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Try locking transparency.
    Its the same

By the way:

"Select layer content" and "Lock transparency" is by effect exactly the same.

Thanks
    Mic

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
    Its the same

By the way:

Thanks
    Mic
    Ah. I misunderstood you.

Hmmm. I think at the edge you will always get blending with something from the "outside". Perhaps you could ensure the outside has the right color(s) so that the blending gives you the desired effect?

EDIT: You could try stencils. (under layer options stencil from layer contents) I notice that if you keep the blender "inside" the red masked areas, it seems to work quite a bit better than just locking transparency and select layer content
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 09-22-2015 at 11:16 AM.

I haven't noticed (I actually tried it with your picture) it breaking out.. but I DID notice the white surrounding COULD break in if you go from the outside in. So I have a fix for that as well.. You cannot do this with the lock transparency however.

1st - Select all

2nd - Invert your selection and color around your work it the same color as what you want to smear

3rd - Invert selection again(Back inside).. and smear away

4th - Invert your selection one more time (this will be outside of your work) and delete or erase everything outside)

5th Deselect all (Done)

I know this sounds like a lot.. but it's simple and only takes a few clicks.. and it won't smear white into your work.

Making a stencil as DarkOwnt said will work just as well (In essence you are making a temporary stencil (really a layer mask) when you do it the first way I said)
    Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 09-22-2015 at 01:26 PM.

EDIT:

Try this : make multiple copies of your layer, create a stencil on each layer. Blend top layers only. Do NOT use lock transparency.

Keeping the bottom layer opaque should avoid the transparent edges.
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 09-22-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
    Not in all cases, actually. When Lock Transparency is active, the Palette knife (set to "Wet") will pick up the canvas color, in the blending process. This is a programming quirk with the feature, caused because you are specifically telling the program "not" to change the transparency of the layer. Since you would be doing just that, by lifting and moving the color with the palette knife, the program simply integrates the canvas color into the area, to keep the transparency intact. When Select Layer Contents is used, the Palette knife doesn't pick up the canvas color.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SelectionLockexample.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	87603
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

David your method worked!!!

...if one stays away from "Small frost".

Among the frost's - "Small frost" is special in the way that it has 0% color drag.

Small frost behaves a little like transparent white paint.

Setting a layer mask/stencil did not work here.

Thanks to all of you for your time and replies.

Mic