ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Photoshop-like finger/palm rejection ?

Photoshop-like finger/palm rejection ?

Hello

It happens very often that my drawing contains little smudges that are caused by my fingers or my palm (for instance when panning and zooming). I usually only discover them afterwards, when undo is not possible anymore.

I know that once the stylus gets close enough to the drawing, the finger touch is rejected, but this is not enough.

Photoshop has this nice behavior where two-finger touch is recognized for zoom&pan, while single touch does NOT create brush spots or strokes.

So, from a technical point of view, it seems possible.

Would it be possible to implement this behavior in a future ArtRage update ? Does it make sense ? Is there a particular setting I missed ?

Thanks

Benjamin
    (Belgium - sorry for "so so" english)

have a look inhere.....maybe you gone find a answer?,
    https://forums.artrage.com/search.php?searchid=1108786

Link broken ?

Thanks for your reply, but it seems the link is broken... Maybe it was a temporary link after a search ?

doe dan een zoekfunctie voor "palm rejection", do a search for "palm rejection"

I already did but, unfortunately, apart for another Surface Pro 3 user (which I am, too) complaining, there's not much of help in there.

I was hoping to get a technical justification of the fact that a "Disable finger drawing" setting could not be implemented.

Thanks anyway.

Perhaps it would help if you explained what system you are using. For example.. From the text above I assume that you are using Win10 with a touchscreen? I say this because of a bit of the lingo.. plus my Android has perfect palm rejection.

palm rejection (Photoshop vs ArtRage wrt pen events and touch events)

Sorry I should have been more specific.

I am using ArtRage 4.5.6 64bit on a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1.

ArtRage accepts either finger or pen touch for drawing, which is annoying.

Photoshop, on the other hand, rejects finger touch (except when it is a 2-finger touch meant for pan/zoom/rotation).

I find myself always erasing little smudges made by my palm or my fingers (when I miss a 2-finger gesture for panning/zooming/rotating)

Since Photoshop can sort the touch input from the pen input, I though it would be nice if ArtRage did it, too.

Thanks

Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    Perhaps it would help if you explained what system you are using. For example.. From the text above I assume that you are using Win10 with a touchscreen? I say this because of a bit of the lingo.. plus my Android has perfect palm rejection.

Yes.. that's what I thought.. I know Android and IPad have touch rejection.. I don't think the desktop version does.. but I am sure with the new touch screen capabilities of Computers today.. it won't be hard for them to implement it. For now.. you can test and see if you put a piece of cardboard or cloth under your hand (like I do in real drawing) it will get rid of the problem.

EDITED : Acually.. I'm not sure if this option on the desktop 4.5.6 fixes it.. but in preferences there is an option to enable or disable windows multitouch (under input device) Try that and see if it gives you the desired result
    Last edited by BushcraftOnFire; 09-22-2015 at 07:28 AM.