ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Changing for higher resolution

Changing for higher resolution

Hi there

Im working on a watercolor painting at 4000x2400 pixel

I wonder if it will be visible if I work at 72 dpi and then when finished, up the resolution to 300 dpi.

Since 72 dpi is less resource demanding that could be an advantage while working with many layers.

The endresult is to be bookprinting at approc. US legal size.

Mic

ArtRage doesn't care what DPI you're working in, only what the actual pixel size is.

The DPI is just a bit of information it adds to the exported file to tell it how 'high quality' the final image should be printed out at. Quality is just how many pixels per inch (dots per inch) - one pixel per inch would be a very poor quality drawing, 300 should be high enough to be difficult to distinguish any pixels with the naked eye (the entire point of high quality printing). But it's always working with the same number of pixels.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

I always work at 300 DPI.. and I don't have a LOT of lag unless I'm doing a long smudge with a 300 or higher brush.. And my computer is a 2009 model

Thank you Hannah - thank you David

David, as I understand Hannah's reply there is no working in 300 dpi ...it is all the same wether 72 or 300.
    Only the size of the document matters.

Mic

Yes as Hannah says, all the software cares about is the pixel dimensions of a painting.
    Examples:
    A: 4000x2400 @72dpi = print size of 55"x14" +/- When setting up under the Screen Size tab.
    B: 13"x8" @300dpi = pixel dimensions of 4000x2400 +/- When setting up under the Print Size tab.
    Both the above are the same document and in theory in painting it as either A or B from the start, AR should behave and respond the same.

The image quality problems really start when you go from say 72dpi up to 300dpi but insist on retaining the same print size as the 72dpi version. Then the software, any software, will have to either makeup extra pixels to fill the original picture area by re-sampling, leading to possible fuzziness, or by enlarging the pixels it's already got to fill the area, which leads to possible pixelation.
    Last edited by markw; 09-17-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)