ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Not Just For Painting!!

Not Just For Painting!!

So for about a year (when I wanted a break from 'real artwork') I would use Gimp to do "Oil Smudge Paintings" which is a manipulation technique for photos.. along with brushwork to make a painting that looks like an oil painting.

Well I thought I would try to use the blending and smudge brush in Artrage to do a few.. and it turned out pretty nicely. Here's one that I did last night

I know what you mean.

I did a couple of my dog. It still takes talent to do it. You really have to know where and how to put the paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tilde (3).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	87527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tilde Portrait (1).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	87528  

Nice work Marilyn.. Here's another one of my beautiful wife that I completed in AR today.. To me this is very relaxing.. so I like to do it in between other works..

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BushcraftOnFire View Post
    Nice work Marilyn.. Here's another one of my beautiful wife that I completed in AR today.. To me this is very relaxing.. so I like to do it in between other works..

Indeed she is!

Impressively good paintings!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Really cool representations of your subjects. Painted yet very clear. Good stuff!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks so much.. Appreciate the comments

Really nice work using the tracing image, I love working with it one some of my digital photos as well, an under appreciated area I think...

Quote Originally Posted by gxhpainter View Post
    Really nice work using the tracing image, I love working with it one some of my digital photos as well, an under appreciated area I think...
    Thanks GXH...

I didn't actually use the tracing image.. This technique is hard to explain.. Maybe I will do a tutorial on it when I have the time. My daughter is getting married this weekend.. so it won't be for at least a week or two.

But in the meantime.. basically you manipulate an image by pixelizing it (kind of). You sharpen and then blur.. and sharpen and blur (Gimp has a wonderful Anistrophic blur tool for this.

I then import it into AR and use a combination of Knife Tools (basically smudge and blur) to combine the pixels into an "Oil Painting" type of look.

Hi Harry?????. Sounds fantastic and looks fantastic but much to high Tec for this old Bodger ok.

CIAO. HASTA LA VISTA. IVAYA. CON. DiOS regards To your lovely. Wife