ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Employ OpenCL to improve performance

Lightbulb Employ OpenCL to improve performance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	openCL.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	87407

I noticed this technique had been used to improve performance in Adobe Photoshop. This let us paint with very large sized brushes smoothly. I'm not sure if this is already used in Artrage. But, currenly, some brushes is extremly slow when working with large size in Artrage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_brush.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	87408

For example, the size of this image is 2550x3300 pixels, we can even use a 5000 pixels sized brush to paint efficiently. Btw, another thing missing in Artrage is a fast, simple, large airbrush which is like the default round brush in Photoshop. I know there've already been an airbrush in Artrage, but the brush size is limited up to 500%, and maybe the algorithm is expensive for some rapid uses. Sometimes, we would like to add atmosphere rapidly when painting environment. A fast, simple, large airbrush would come handy in this situation.
    Last edited by sweep2rails; 09-01-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Unfortunately, our brushes work a bit differently to Photoshop's brushes, so ArtRage wouldn't be able to get the same performance boost.
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Unfortunately, our brushes work a bit differently to Photoshop's brushes, so ArtRage wouldn't be able to get the same performance boost.
    That's a pity. Actually, I find the Airbrush works smoothly even at its top size, so do some of other brushes. But why do you have to limit the size of all brushes up to 500%? This makes high resolution painting a bit difficult. Except for it, I think Artrage is really great and I'm glad to use it as my default painting app instead of Photoshop.

HannahRage
    Hannah I think "unfortunately" is perhaps not the best description here. The fact that ArtRage brushes work differently than Photoshop brushes is the thing that makes ArtRage, ArtRage!