Thread: Posting Images

Posting Images

I’ve heard back from Ambient Design over the weekend about why we can no longer post images directly on these forums, and they have confirmed that sadly it is the end of the road for posting images directly into these forums
    Ambient Design is a small firm and they feel their resources are best focused at the moment on the continued development of the ArtRage apps.
    I suppose it is all to easy to forget that there are actually costs to running forum websites, especially if you provide an ever expanding storage capacity for images.
    There was an announcement about this happening way back in 2016: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...293#post504293

So, as some users here have already started to do, you can upload your images to third party image hosting sites* and then post links to those images held with them in your posts here.
    Perhaps not ideal, but I for one am just glad that ArtRage is still with us and being developed.
    As always I look forward to seeing what you all are painting out there, so do keep posting!

*Don’t forget to check your image host’s T’s & C’s to make sure they work for you!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

What then would be the most active and thriving web forum, subforum, or what-have-you remaining on the internet for ArtRage now? Maybe *here* is actually not where most ArtRage users post, share, and discuss artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    ...Maybe *here* is actually not where most ArtRage users post, share, and discuss artwork.
    I suspect you are right in that
    ArtRage dose have Facebook and Instagram accounts where a lot of users are posting their finished works to.
    Not to mention users posting to their own social media accounts, as I occasionally do to mine.
    The world changes…
    But what I do feel forums like these are much better at, is problem solving, advice giving, general tips and tricks and asset sharing.
    My experience of dealing with those aspects on social media sites is that such things are soon lost and buried and difficult later to find specific questions again and their solutions.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

@markw

thank you for sharing this update! I'm glad this will clear up any anxieties about discontinued development. I hope the team enjoys the holiday season and has good progress going on.

for image upload, I personally prefer imgur.com - it's been around for too long and it's reliable - but there're other options also available.

@DarkOwnt

#artrage twitter hashtag used to be on the active side - no instagram levels of engagement, but ig has been notoriously deaf and unfriendly for artists for a good while now.
    pinterest has turned into an ai-bloated cloaca in less than a year, and my own experience with that one has been disappointing overall - I obviously joined it way too late, but still.
    artstation has gone downhill ever since they did nothing with the AI art artist strike about a year, or so, ago;
    it also requires paying a subscription fee to get better circulation for the projects shared, otherwise there's just too much stuff going down at once; most people liking your content will be bots from someone in Vietnam looking to boost their clout.

there're several art hubs that prohibit posting ai art - most of larger art subreddits would fall into this category;

cara.app is a website that looks like a combined artstation and twitter experience, it also promotes use of a built-in glaze tool to protect your art from being scrapped by ai-miners for those who care about this specific kind of thing;

nothing specific to artrage, though - and the /r/artrage is a pretty empty space at the moment.
    I'd imagine a new version will liven up the engagement.

artrage also maintains their community page over on facebook, you're welcome to share art over there if you have an account.

there were other attempts to launch an art platform with artist's experience first and foremost in mind - but I tend to give up and avoid when I see they/them/xir people running the space.
    Last edited by nekomata; 11-28-2023 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    I’ve heard back from Ambient Design over the weekend about why we can no longer post images directly on these forums, and they have confirmed that sadly it is the end of the road for posting images directly into these forums
    Ambient Design is a small firm and they feel their resources are best focused at the moment on the continued development of the ArtRage apps.
    I suppose it is all to easy to forget that there are actually costs to running forum websites, especially if you provide an ever expanding storage capacity for images.
    There was an announcement about this happening way back in 2016: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...293#post504293

So, as some users here have already started to do, you can upload your images to third party image hosting sites* and then post links to those images held with them in your posts here.
    Perhaps not ideal, but I for one am just glad that ArtRage is still with us and being developed.
    As always I look forward to seeing what you all are painting out there, so do keep posting!

*Don’t forget to check your image host’s T’s & C’s to make sure they work for you!
    I think Galleries was a separate thing from the general forum hosting service used here.

I suspect the issue was that the forum hit the total storage space ceiling in 2023. Something happened this Jan 2024 and it seems posting is back up! Maybe vBulletin increased the maximum storage for the forum services package.
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 01-11-2024 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    I think Galleries was a separate thing from the general forum hosting service used here...
    Yes, that’s what I had thought but was told otherwise.
    But never mind, whatever the in’s & out’s of it all was I’m very glad to see the old image posting method is back!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Yes, that’s what I had thought but was told otherwise.
    But never mind, whatever the in’s & out’s of it all was I’m very glad to see the old image posting method is back!
    I'm glad too!

Here are some shots from the wayback machine... it might bring back memories... it did for me!

Name:  ARGallery1.PNG
Views: 48
Size:  16.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARGallery2.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	103293

Name:	ARGallery4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	103295

Name:	ARGallery3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	103294

Oh yes indeed, I remember those old Galleries too!
    There were some very talented people using AR back then, and indeed there still are
    I see you found the old Galleries for two of my favourite AR users; SomseoneSane, though alas not seen around here for a very long time now but who made some good AR tutorials back in the day: https://www.youtube.com/@someonesane
    And Nicklillus a.k.a Nick Harris, professional illustrator in the real world: http://nickillus.com/
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram